Promising start to season ended as Town suffer on road at Witton

Ernest Boafo scored Town's only goal at Witton on Tuesday night.
Ernest Boafo scored Town's only goal at Witton on Tuesday night.

Witton 4 Brighouse 1: Promising start to season ended as Town suffer on road at Witton

In the first 20 minutes Town were the better side but could not convert any of their chances in the final third.

Then they found themselves two goals down before half-time and, despite controlled the opening stages of the second half, they went 3-0 down through an own goal.

Six minutes in, Daniel Facey and Isaac Baldwin combined well and it looked as though they would take the lead but Witton goalkeeper Danny Roberts saved.

Apart from a Gary Roberts cross which Kyle Diskin should have steered into the Town net, it continued to be Town pressing forward.

However, things were breaking down in the last third and Facey looked isolated.

Tom Robinson did put a ball into his path on 14 minutes and Roberts turned the ball for a corner.

Ernest Boafo was having difficulty shaking off his markers and also controlling the ball and in frustration he gave away a free kick which Gary Roberts sent well wide of the target.

Then came the first setback on 20 minutes when skipper Adam Wilson short-changed a pass and in nipped Danny Andrews before laying the ball to Alex Titchiner, who just beat Hagreen, who did get a hand to the ball.

Town manager Paul Quinn swapped his wingers around, Baldwin going left and Robinson coming on the right and, on 31 minutes, the former sent in a rasping shot from 25 yards which just went over the crossbar.

Town were trying to level matters but lost possession in the Albion si- yard box and the ball was quickly worked down the other end before Andrews latched on to the ball to fire past to beat Hagreen.

Diskin then missed an open goal to make it 3-0, and Quinn was pleased to hear the half-time whistle.

At half time, Quinn brought on Ryan Hall for Robinson and Martin Allison for James Hurtley and in the first 10 minutes it was all Town as they attacked without much luck.

Boafo, Hall and Facey all had opportunities to score but it was not to be before Niall Green on 54 minutes was booked for a foul on industrious Kurt Harris.

From two successive corners , Harris had a shot deflected and Sam Hewitt headed wide.

Then came the third gift on 58 minutes as Chris Baker fired in a ball from the right and, in trying to clear, Wilson sliced the ball into his own net.

To be fair to Town they did not rest on their laurels and they tried to get themselves back in the game.

They were rewarded in the 70th minute when Chris Fisher and Baldwin combined on the left and then found Boafo on the edge of the box who blasted the ball home past Roberts.

Steve Hollingworth came on for Facey in a bid introduce fresh legs up front and Baldwin had the next best chance, but headed wide with the goal beckoning.

At the other end, Andrews could have made it 4-1 but Hagreen spread himself well.

However, on 91 minutes, the Town goalkeeper was beaten when Gary Roberts scored his side’s fourth and the only goal not put on plate for them.

Town ended the night with a superb seven-player move before Roberts saved at the post from Boafo and his clearance was hammered wide by Hall.