Premier display brings rewards for Old Boys

Brighouyse Old Boys' 'Image05 ' winger Matty Roy
Brighouyse Old Boys' 'Image05 ' winger Matty Roy
Share this article

Brighouse Old Boys turned in one of their best performances of the season to beat mid-table Rothwell.

Old Boys took the lead when Chris Wdowczyk won the ball and laid off a precise pass to Rob Kenny. He left defenders trailing before firing into the bottom left hand corner.

Rothwell came back strongly with Moore and Griffiths, causing problems and captain Andy Hall and centre back partner Ian Brock had to be on their guard.

The second goal came from a similar route to the first but his time Kenny passed to Lee Burgess whose shot came back off the post but Alex Tait was in the right place to net.

The third goal was a direct result of home pressure with Burgess crossing for Tait only for Rothwell’s Sam Graham to place the ball into the back of his own net.

Early in the second half Kenny suffered a recurrance of a hamstring problem and was replaced by Matty Roy on the left with Tom Gorringe going over to the right. To exploit the tiring legs of the Rothwell defence another change was made, Mike Pearson replacing Tait up front.

Rothwell’s right back, Craig Hartley, was finding it difficult to contain Roy and almost inevitably it was he who scored Brighouse’s fourth goal.

An excellent crossfield ball from Wdowczyk found Roy charging towards the Rothwell goal before executing a delicate chip which nestled into the right hand corner.

Damian Place came on for Jimmy Cummings and his control and passing abilities added to Rothwell woes.

Rothwell didn’t give up and only a athletic save by Hibbert stopped them from scoring.

The fifth goal was an outstanding piece of individual skill by Roy. Receiving the ball on the halfway line. he beat the two centre back by chipping the ball over their heads and outpacing them.

Another defender tried to stop him but he was bypassed by Roy’s quick feet. Confronted by the keeper with a mixture of body swerves and feints the keeper ended spread-eagled on the ground, Roy completing the move by simply walking the ball into the net

Brighouse Old Boys manager Phil Garbe described the victory as the performance of the season as he prepares his side for Saturday’s big Albert Crabtree Halifax and District League Cup semi-final at home to Ovenden WR (2.00),

“If we had struggled on the back of the disappointing defeat at Kippax then I feel confidence would have been at an all time low and we could have struggled badly against Ovenden,” he said.

“As it is now we go head to head with a form team in the West Riding CAL Premier Division and brimming with confidence.

“We played exceptionally well and playing at home will also give us that edge.”

The club’s reserve team are away to Oxenhope Recreation (2.30).

Brighouse Old Boys 5

Rothwell 0

West Yorkshire League Premier Division

A first half hat-trick by Tyne Binns set Brighouse on their way to an emphatic 7-0 victory over Shelf.

Ben Esgate opened the scoring and added another before the break as Brighouse opened up a five goal lead at the interval.

It could have been more after Coates hit the post and Brighouse missed a penalty.

But with Ben Orley, Lee Brearley and Thomas Pearson in command at the back, there was little chance of a Shelf comeback.

The visitors kept plugging away and Brighouse keeper Anthony Ellwood was called upon a couple of times in the second half to claim the ball.

Michael Jones was dominant in the middle of the pitch and, after a lull in the game, the home side extended their lead in the second half when

Smith finished off a neat move.

He then added the seventh and final goal from the spot after the lively Binns was brought down as he went looking for his fourth goal.

Clifton Rangers U10s made a were 4-0 derby winners over Wyke Wanderers.

Clifton’s first came from a corner from Sam Nixon which was turned in for an own goal.

The second was the result of a fine move between Ben Gledhill and Bradley Hall-Crowther with Harrison Gilbert, finishing off.

On the stroke of half time a Wyke player went down in the box but Clifton ‘keeper Archie Brown pulled off his fifth penalty save of the season.

Clifton wrapped things up when Robbie Thompson and Drew Mitchell combined for Freddie Ward to score.