Pond still missing finishing touch after Cup exit

Action from Pond's game
Action from Pond's game

TOP Club Reserves came home empty-handed from a trip to Weavers FC in Mytholmroyd in the Ziggy’s Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League.

The home side, fresh from defeating another Brighouse side in Crown FC the previous weekend, took an early lead through a headed goal from a corner.

Undeterred, the Rastrick side’s second string battled back into the game and Gary Nicholson struck a sweet volleyed equaliser just before the half-time whistle.

Any thoughts of a comeback were quickly quelled, however, as Kenny Bills’s outfit grabbed a quickfire double after the break to create a nice two-goal cushion on which to build.

Top Club gave their all to try and once more get back into the match, but with legs tiring, it was the home side who netted twice more to help them move up to fourth in the league standings just three points off leaders Halifax Hammers Reserves.

In The Eddie Hebblethwaite Halifax FA District Cup, Old Pond started brightly enough against Fountains Head FC but continued to struggle to find the back of the net.

Paul Taylor saw an early chance scrambled off the line, and Andy Kelly struck over the top when well placed.

Pond goalkeeper Dan Barnes made a good one-on-one stop with his feet, but was soon beaten from the penalty spot.

Lewis Oldridge went down in the area and, despite protestations of minimal contact, Adam Burke accepted the opportunity from 12 yards and put his side ahead.

The home side were soon two goals to the good via a breakaway from Oldridge, whose partnership up front with Jake Kennedy caused Pond problems all match.

The same player struck the post as Fountains continued to press.

At the other end, Joe Shaw blazed over from close in having been fed by Taylor on the stroke of half-time.

Another penalty award saw Burke net his second from the spot as the game started moving away from the visitors, although Luke Oldridge’s own goal following Taylor’s dangerous punt into the area gave the Hove Edge side hope.

Pond threw caution to the wind and were picked off by the home side’s speedsters as both Kennedy and Oldridge got ahead of their markers with pace to make it 5-1 and secure their progression to round two.

Also through are Ryburn Valley after they put paid to Barge FC.

David Woffenden and Jamie Cartledge netted for Matthew Bagshaw’s side but they were eliminated after a 4-2 reversal.

Following a period of inactivity, Top Club’s first team face the unenviable challenge of tackling unbeaten Premier Division league leaders and reigning champions Carrington FC at Carr Green this Sunday.

Barge FC play North Bridge Reserves at Rastrick High School in the first round of the Springfield Camping League Cup.

In the same competition, Crown FC travel to Wellesley Park to play Halifax Amateurs and Top Club Reserves head off to Savile Park to face Ovenden Phoenix. All kick-offs are 11am.

In the Ziggys Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League Premier Division, Top Club entertain Carrington FC at Carr Green Rec (11am).