Points shared at Natty Lane

Honours were even in the third versus fourth place match in the Premier Division of the Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League at the weekend.

Tuesday, 26th January 2016, 1:19 pm
Updated Tuesday, 26th January 2016, 1:24 pm
Sunday cup football - Halifax Hammers v Royd Club. Kashif Akmal for Hammers and Cameron Mitchell for Royd Club.

Mount Tabor and Waiters Arms drew 3-3- in an entertaining encounter at Natty Lane.

Waiters started on the front foot and Talbot ‘keeper Andy Bottomley twice denied Billy Grogan from close range before Carl Maguire fired across the face of goal.

Waiters did take the lead, though, when Lee Wood skipped through numerous challenges in the area before slotting home.

The advantage was doubled when Maguire sent a ball across the face of goal and Matthew Helliwell, who had escaped with a yellow card for a bad tackle, could only divert it past his own keeper.

Just before half time Tabor got back into it when a Matty Mason free kick from his own half bounced over everyone, including Waiters debutant Ethan Daly, and the ball nestled in the net.

Two minutes later an identical free kick skimmed in off the head of Waiters’ Gordan Brierley to make it 2-2 at half time.

Bottomley saved point blank from James Waggett, Grogan and Maguire but he was beaten by a header from Wood, his 10th goal of the campaign.

Waiters looked comfortable with James Goodwin keeping Tabor danger man Adam Helliwell quiet but a slip from skipper Ash O’Shea allowed Martin Ayscough to equalise.

Tabor defended stoutly for the last 10 minutes with Waiters Kev Talbot going close and Waggett missing a glorious chance with his head in the last minute.

Old Pond rescued a three goal deficit to draw 3-3 at home to Ryburn United.

Hayden Lewis fired just over for the hosts but the first half belonged to Ryburn.

was dominated by the visitors who looked a lot fresher having played twice since Pond’s recent inactivity.

Dan Barnes in the Pond goal was in top form but he could do nothing as Thomas Sanderson and Luke Hartley scored in a four minute period and Sanderson added a third.

Lewis Scott thwarted Wayne Allert early in the second period but Paul Taylor’s clinical finish threw Pond a lifeline.

Five minutes later Lewis and Taylor combined for the latter to lash the ball home for 2-3.

Subs Ryan Dowse and Jack Dobson gave the Hove Edge side further impetus and when Dowse’s rasping effort could only be parried, Taylor completed a fine hat-trick.

Dowse was denied by Scott again before the visitors staged a big late but it finished with the same scoreline as the earlier meeting.

In Division One, Barge FC made a spectacular return to action and form by thumping lowly Fountain Head 10-4.

Fountain Head took the lead in the first 10 minutes, but Barge hit straight back with a well taken goal from man of the match David Woffenden.

The regular goal getter scored four and was in unstoppable form to the delight of manager Matthew Bagshaw.

Paddy Maylett was also singled out for praise in the heart of defence by the Brighouse side’s gaffer.

Sam Halstead (2), Sean McManamin, Graham Pugh and Ethan Deal were also on the scoresheet whilst an own goal following a Peter Jennings kick out completed the rout.

Oddfellows moved clear of Ryburn Valley in mid-table with a 3-0 win while promotion hopefuls Ovenden BC and Beehive and Cross Keys drew 2-2.

Queens Head had their expected win over bottom side Bradshaw, by 4-1.

In Division Two, Top Club Reserves went down 3-1 at Halifax Amateurs, whilst Crown FC’s management were left fuming after they could only raise six players and had to forfeit their scheduled match with Halifax Hammers Reserves.

King Cross Park confirmed their status as title favourites with a 9-1 win over Ovenden Phoenix while North Bridge FC Reserves upset Halifax Rangers 3-0.

Carrington progressed to the last eight of the Eddie Hebblethwaite Halifax FA Sunday Cup with a 10-0 demolition of perennial rivals FC Bowling Green.

The fixture had been postponed three times at Old Earth, Elland so was switched to Trinity Academy and Carrington made full use of home advantage.

Jay Carney bagged a hat-trick in the opening 20 minutes and Matty Jones, Jordan Coduri and Carney again made it 6-0 by half-time

Carney grabbed his fifth early in the second half and further goals from Damien Randall, Damon Gledhill-Nichols and a second from Coduri completed the rout.

Top Club brushed off the cobwebs in the same competition with a 4-0 defeat of Triangle in a match switched to Savile Park with Carr Green a quagmire.

An Adam Clayton divided the sides at the interval and Top Club then pulled clear of their division-lower opponents in spite of Tom Gorringe’s missed penalty.

Ryan Barkham produced a trademark mazy run and slotted home before Clayton grabbed his second. James Lord completed the scoring with a late header.

Halifax Hammers were under strength but still progressed to the quarter finals of the Senior Cup with a 13-1 mauling of division-lower Royd Club.

They raced into 7-0 half time lead and there was no let-up in the second half.

Hammers scorers were Mohammed Ozair (3), Awais Khan (2), Lamin Gitteh (2), Ahsan Farooq (2), Hussain Farooq (2), Matty Waller and debutant Junaid Ali.