Otley Town 2 Brighouse Old Boys 3: Repeat show leaves Otley suffering

THIS game was a repeat of the League fixture two weeks earlier in which Brighouse Old Boys came away with a 2-0 victory.

As in the previous match, the game started very evenly, with both teams playing good football, but after about 10 minutes, the Old Boys increased their tempo and began to exert more pressure.

The centre midfield pairing of Chris Wdowczk and Tom Wright took control, and, with left midfielder Regan Broadbent excelling on the wing, it looked like only a matter of time before a goal would come.

It duly arrived on the 20-minute mark but – against the run of play – it went to the home side.

However, the Old Boys immediately put their opponents under pressure from the restart and within two minutes had equalised.

Centre back Luke Johnson won the ball in his own half and hit a perfect through ball for striker Richard Heins to pounce on and hit the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

The away side continued to dominate, with both Regan Broadbent and the hard working Matt Richardson going close, but the half ended at 1-1.

The second half began much the same, with the Old Boys dominating.

Their back four of Jordan Hadden, Johnson, Lee Williams and Jake Broadbent were rarely put under any pressure and when the ball did breach their lines goalkeeper Ben Briggs controlled his area well.

The Old Boys deservedly went ahead, a flowing move down the right between Wright and Hadden led to the latter releasing right winger Jake Stewart, who hit a good low cross that Regan Broadbent tapped in.

Shortly afterwards, a through ball from Jake Broadbent found Heins just outside the penalty box. He turned and hit a shot goal-wards that took a deflection past the stranded Otley goalkeeper.

Calvin Lee replaced Jake Stewart, while Damian Place came on for Richardson.

With just six minutes on the clock, an off the ball incident between Lee Williams and an Otley forward led to Williams seeing red.

Otley had fresh impetus and when they scored their second with just three minutes remaining, the chance of extra time began to loom. However, the Old Boys held out and now face Yorkshire Amateur Premier League side Alwoodley FC in the second round on November 7.

The Old Boys Reserves couldn’t match their first team’s success, going down 3-2 to Headingley in the West Yorkshire Alliance.

A 3-0 half-time deficit proved too much to overcome for the hosts, despite second-half strikes from Paul Taylor and Martin Newham.

This Saturday the first team are at home to Knaresborough (2 30 pm), the reserves are away to Poole (2 30pm) and the Huddersfield Division Four team at home to Golcar (2 15pm).