Ossett Town 1 Brighouse Town 1: Frustration for Town after they are held in stalemate by Ossett

PENALTY APPEAL: Brighouse Town's Daniel Facey.
PENALTY APPEAL: Brighouse Town's Daniel Facey.

BRIGHOUSE TOWN were left rueing their missed chances, as Ossett came back to take a share of the spoils.

The game started quite brightly, as both teams tried to take control, and Ossett had the first meaningful attack, when a David Brown cross from the right, on six minutes, looked dangerous.

But the ball rebounded off Adam Wilson into the grateful hands of Paul Hagreen.

Brighouse started to get a foothold in the game, with Leon Henry showing great pace down the left, and his pass found Ernest Boafo, who slipped Danny Facey in down the right.

But his fellow striker shot wide from the angle. Facey was in again on 10 minutes, but again the Brighouse frontman shot wide from a narrow angle with just Tom Morgan to beat.

But Ossett’s joy was short-lived. Facey received the ball inside the box and rolled past Simon Rodgers, before the defender then wrestled the Brighouse striker to the ground leaving the referee with no choice but to point to the spot.

Boafo then stepped up to smash the penalty past Morgan to give Brighouse the lead on 14 minutes.

The away side were cranking up the pressure now, and a corner from James Pollard had Ossett all at sea. Dan Monfredi flicked the ball past Morgan, but the home keeper was relieved to see the ball land on the roof of the net for another corner.

Another break down the right by Facey had the home side in trouble, his cross had goal written all over it, but no Brighouse player could add the final touch.

The second half started much like the first, with Brighouse pushing the home side back, and looking to add to their lead.

And, on 52 minutes it was almost 2-0, when Boafo crossed from the right.Ryan Hall headed the ball past Morgan but the ball cannoned back off the crossbar for Facey to finish the rebound off, only for the linesman to have his flag up for offside.

Facey should have scored on 55 minutes when he was sent clear, but he pulled his shot wide from the angle with just Morgan to beat.

There seemed to be only one winner as Brighouse piled forward and Ossett could do nothing but hold on.

However, on 65 minutes it all changed, when Brighouse lost both Boafo and Henry to injuries.

Ossett threw caution to the wind and made three substiturions, including bringing on Brighouse old boy Sam Akeroyd.

The final 20 minutes swung the way of the home side, as they started to control most of the ball, with Brighouse limited to breakaways.

On 73 minutes, Ossett drew level. A run by Tawanda Rupere found the striker playing a one-two inside the box, and from the angle he slipped the ball past Hagreen into the net.

The torrential rain was now affecting the game, adding to the atmosphere and tension as players slipped, and struggled with the downpour.

Ossett should have then won the game on 90 minutes when a break from the home side, had a two-on-one with Brighouse goalkeeper Hagreen.

But Luke Mangham tried to beat Hagreen when he had a fellow player open and free to walk the ball into the empty net to his left.

The striker shot, but the Brighouse stopper stuck out his big left boot to kick the ball clear and Brighouse almost won the game from this position.

The ball broke for Sam Hewitt, who slipped substitute Issac Baldwin in, but his shot was deflected over the bar and the spoils were shared on this very wet afternoon.