Old Boys shock higher-league opponents after answering SOS

This game was hastily arranged after the opponents that Liversedge had arranged to play had telephoned the previous day to give backword. Old Boys manager Kim Farrand, who had once managed Liversedge, saw on social media that they were looking for new opponents and the game was organised.

Liversedge, who play in the Northern Counties East Premier Division, fielded a very strong team in what was their last friendly prior to their season starting on the Saturday.

As expected, from the kick-off the home side immediately put pressure on their West Yorkshire League Premier 
Division opponents, but the Old Boys stood firm and began to look dangerous on the break.

On the 10-minute mark, the Old Boys took the lead when right back Michael Barlow fed the ball to right winger James Coates who beat his man before expertly crossing for Calvin Lee to head home at the back post.

Liversedge continued to press, but to their, and the sizeable crowd’s, shock the Old Boys then doubled their lead, this time with a move down the left, ending with left-back Joe Nalson placing a superb through ball to striker Paul Taylor who took the ball into the penalty area before hitting a perfect low shot into the bottom right of the net.

The half continued in the same vein, with Liversedge piling on the pressure and creating several good chances, but with solid defending, 
especially from centre backs Lee Williams and Ian Brock, and excellent goalkeeping from Jason Hibbert, along with some poor finishing from their opponents, the Old Boys kept Liversedge at bay and indeed continued to look dangerous on the break.

The half-time whistle came with Brighouse’s advantageous 2-0 scoreline intact.

Liversedge scored very shortly into the second half, with the Old Boys defence for once not clearing their lines, allowing a close-range tap-in from a Liversedge forward to reduce the arrears.

However, with the home team supporters now expecting their team to go ahead and win easily against their lower league opponents, the onslaught never came.

In fact, the second half was a much tighter affair, with fewer chances being created by either team.

Old Boys brought on substitutes, Pete Kulezko on the right wing and the Broadbent twins, Regan and Jake, at left back and left wing respectively.

The fresh legs added new impetus into the Old Boys’ efforts and in the end they were unlucky not to increase their lead when Taylor was put through by Jimmy Cummings, but his shot went just over the bar.

This was an outstanding performance and result for the Old Boys, who should now be eagerly and confidently awaiting the start of the season as they look, under new manager Kim Farrand, to have a very positive campaign.