Old Boys hoping for action after last week’s treble wash-out

Brighouse  Old Boys, in red, beat Mount St Mary's 2-1 in the WR Div One. '' 'Image02 ' captain James Fletcher
Brighouse Old Boys, in red, beat Mount St Mary's 2-1 in the WR Div One. '' 'Image02 ' captain James Fletcher

All three of Brighouse Old Boys fixtures were postponed last Saturday owing to waterlogged grounds.

Shortly after 11am first team manager Phil Garbe got a call from Bradford club Field to say that their ground was waterlogged following heavy rain over the past 30 minutes.

“I had fears about that pitch and when the heavens opened on Saturday I knew we might well get called off for what was to be a West Yorkshire League Cup tie,” said Garbe.

“Our reserve team manager Chris Wadsworth and myself then decided to look at our pitches at Hipperholme & Lightcliffe HS and with the rain still coming down opted to call their game and the Huddersfield League side’s game as well.”

This Saturday the Old Boys are away to Stump Cross at Shroggs Park (1.45) in the Albert Crabtree Halifax & District FA Cup second round.

“Stump Cross are fourth in the Halifax Premier League at this moment in time so the game looks very interesting and one we do need to overcome as cup holders if we are to progress.

“I have James Fletcher available this week as last he was at a university event and Rob Kenny (groin) has informed me he is on the mend and may well come into the reckoning.

“The reserves are at home to Bardsey Res in the Alliance Division One (2.00) and they will be without Sam Ferguson and Jordan Hadden who are both serving one match bans from recent sendings off.

“However, Chris will have Adam Williams, who has been out with a knee injury, and Peter Kuleczko back in the fold.

“Our Huddersfield League Division Four team are also at home to second from bottom Fantastic (2.15).”

Brighouse Juniors U11A started and finished this match with Gomersal and Cleckheaton putting pressure on the opposition goal but were overpowered in the middle period.

Gomersal and Cleckheaton have their ‘keeper to thank for not conceding several in the first half when Luke Smith was unlucky not to score.

Oliver Slater did eventually find the bottom corner to make it one all - the only time Brighouse weren’t behind in the game.

The home side kept up the pressure making the most of a run of good luck and were 6-1 up midway through the second half.

But Michael Jones started a fightback by Brighouse when he found the net after a scramble in front of goal.

Man of the match Ben Esgate put in some great crosses from the wing and set up Thomas Pearson to score Brighouse’s final goal in the 6-3 defeat.