Old Boys come of age as Kenny and Roy secure cup success

Brighouyse Old Boys' 'Image05 ' winger Matty Roy
Brighouyse Old Boys' 'Image05 ' winger Matty Roy
Share this article

Calder 76 1

Brighouse Old Boys 2

Albert Crabtree Saturday Cup

After losing out three years ago in the final, Brighouse Old Boys finally got to lift the Albert Crabtree Saturday Cup at the Shay on Tuesday evening.

The Old Boys had cruised through to the final with convincing scorelines whereas Myltholmroyd-based Calder 76 had twice had to go to penalties.

As a result many observers believed that the Old Boys’ name would be on the silverware this time aropund.

However, they were made to fight for their win, and a 20 minute spell in the second half was the deciding factor between two equally matched sides.

The Shay pitch, due to be dug up in the very near future, was a rutted dust bowl and both sides would have benefitted from it being watered.

But, despite the firm conditions and unusually warm weather, it was Brighouse who settled the quicker and soon started to mount pressure on Calder.

Luke Johnson was first with an effort on target after which another attempt shortly after did not really bother Calder ‘keeper Warren Clayton.

Rob Kenny then forced a corner after his shot was deflected.

Johnson threatened again but it was Matthew Roy’s ball in to Kenny that forced Clayton into making a fingertip save.

Calder settled their nerves and a good effort from the touchline from Paul Ashman flew just over the crossbar. Old Boys then had their hearts in their mouths when Steve Jones was faced with an open goal but his attempt went wide.

Old Boys seemed to have switched off but with half time approaching they woke up again and returned to Calder’s half with Kenny’s ball putting Lee Burgess through only for him to hit the woodwork and just seconds later Kenny rattled the crossbar.

The early stages of the second half saw Old Boys find their feet and start to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Young left back Johnson was in the thick of it again and when Simon Whiton failed to head vclear his cross Kenny was on hand to follow it up and open the scoring.

Old Boys stepped up another gear and four minutes later Roy curled in the ball from the left hand side of the box to beat the ‘keeper for Old Boys’ second.

The Brighouse side continued to pepper the goal and keeper Jason Hibbert was virtually a spectator.

It wasn’t until the last 10 minutes that he was really called into action and it was substitute Ifran Afzal that managed to beat him on 87 minutes.

Calder 76: Clayton, Flemming, Ashman, Dawson, McCambridge, Whiton, Jones, Stansfield, Woolescroft, Allen, Topham. Subs Mexon, Gee, Afzal.

Brighouse OB: Hibbert, Nalson, Johnson, Brock, Hall, Wydowczyk, Cummings, Kenny, Burgess, Fletcher, Roy. Subs Lee, Burton, Tait, Place.