New Mills 1 Brighouse Town 1: Greedy Town hand hapless hosts a rare cause for celebration

Ryan Hall goes for goal last Saturday. Pictures: Steven Ambler
Ryan Hall goes for goal last Saturday. Pictures: Steven Ambler

Town’s manager Paul Quinn described himself and his coaching team as being left “frustrated” after seeing his side share the spoils with the winless Derbyshire side, writes Dave Parker.

The home side left the Church Lane pitch to rapturous applause after taking their first point of the season there against a Town side that had been dragged down to their level.

Town's Tom Haigh, watched by Will Tolley (right) at New Mills

Town's Tom Haigh, watched by Will Tolley (right) at New Mills

Quinn said: “I obviously expected three points out of it, and after a poor first half where we dropped to their tempo instead of playing our expected level, we asked them for a response in the second half.

“To be fair we did get that and had chances which we didn’t put away, it was just one of those days. To be fair, they had chances as we had pushed well forward as everyone was trying to get in on the act to score, and as a result we lost our shape and we left ourselves open and they missed at least three second-half chances to take the lead.”

Town actually took the lead in the 13th minute when James Hurtley crossed the ball into the six yard box for Danny Facey to stab home.

Town went looking for a quick second goal but players were tending to take a wrong option or put too much weight on the final pass.

Then in the 22nd minute New Mills were awarded a penalty when Danny Browne was brought down in the box by Hurtley.

Ryan Hopper easily beat Paul Hagreento level.

Hall had two glorious opportunities to reassert Town’s authority but squandered them both.

Town’s supporters hearts were in their mouths when New Mills striker Haydn Foulds let fly from 22 yards but his strong shot just cleared the crossbar.

At the close of the half home player Rand was booked but from the free-kick Boafo almost sent his shot into the neighbouring Glossop ground!

Two minutes into the second half and Hall blasted over with the goal beckoning, then Haigh fed Facey who was just wide of the mark, while Haigh was high and wide with a chance on 49 minutes.

Quinn handed promising teenage wide player Ashley Sculley his debut for full-back Will Tolley with Henry dropping back to full-back. Three minutes later and Haigh hobbled off to be replaced by Mark Everingham.

In the 62nd minute Hurtley and Scully combined well to put Facey on goal but he was just beaten to the chance by a defender. Hall, Everingham and Kurt Harris combined but Martin saved well for a corner.

New Mills centre forward Ash Woodhead missed a great chance on 76 minutes to give his side the lead, hitting the side netting. Danny Browne then shot wide for New Mills.

On 85 minutes as Scully had a goalbound shot deflected away from danger as Brighouse failed to find a winner.

New Mills: Martion, Jones, Wilshaw, Rand, Pritchard, Hopper, Williams, Foulds, Woodhead, Browne, Golden. Subs: Blackburn, Brown, McCloughin, Coats, Mills.

Brighouse Town: Hagreen, Harris, Tolley, Hurtley, Hewitt, Thornton, Hall, Haigh, Boafo, Facey, Henry. Subs: Scully, Stead, Everingham, Nicholls, Allison.

Referee: Mr Sam Mulhall.