Naidole at the double helps Town to progress in FA Cup

Tom Brown gets a cross in the box for Brighouse Town v Barton Town football at St Giles Road.
Tom Brown gets a cross in the box for Brighouse Town v Barton Town football at St Giles Road.

Brighouse Town progressed to the next round of the FA Cup with a gutsy performance against Billingham Synthonia.

Unlike Saturday’s encounter which saw Town concede a last minute equaliser in a 1-1 draw, this time they made sure they capitalised on their chances and sealed the deal early in the second half.

Next up is Crook Town, in a home draw to take place on September 18.

Last weekend’s clash had seen Town dominate but only have a Tom Matthews goal to show for their efforts.

Their lack of a cutting edge came back to haunt them as Billingham levelled two minutes into stoppage time to force Tuesday night’s replay.

In the early exchanges it was a pretty even contest, Synthonia having quickly done their homework on Town.

A corner after just two minutes for Billingham saw a scramble in the area but Matthew Osmond was denied by Jacob Giles.

Brighouse attacked quickly and Ernest Boafa’s shot was kept out by James Briggs.

Daniel Fowler was then booked for bringing down Leon Henry and from the resulting free kick Matthews’ shot was easy for Briggs.

Moments later James Hurtley’s attempt was saved before a surge from Billingham saw James Magowan blast the ball straight at Giles.

It wasn’t until the 25th minute that the deadlock was broken.

Matthews had a shot at goal that hit a defender and from the rebound Danny Naidole latched on to the ball and sent it in to the bottom right corner.

Brighouse had also learnt lessons from their earlier encounter and built on their lead, when on 34 minutes Matthews won a corner.

The ball was sent in by Joe Mitchell and straight to an unmarked Boafa who headed home.

Billingham tried to reduce the deficit as Jim Wilson had a shot on target cleared and from then frustration started to kick in, as the visitors received a second another yellow card, his time Osmond for a tackle on Boafa.

Town rose to it and Hurtley was booked for a challenge on Osmond, which was closely followed by a caution for Mitchell for taking out Andrew Burton.

Mitchell made up for his error in the last seconds of the first half with a superb effort but Briggs did a great job of keeping it out.

Although possession was even at the start of the second half, Brighouse looked the stronger side.

Nathan Jameson threatened Giles twice before the normally reliable Briggs came out too far from his goal. Matthews saw his chance and grabbed their third on 59 minutes.

That lead was increased on 68 minutes when substitute Kieran Ryan sent the ball across an open goal and Naidole was there to finish.

Town had a chance to make it five on 76 minutes when Briggs brought Ryan Hall down in the area but the ‘keeper save Naidole’s spot kick.

Billingham continued to put pressure on Town’s defence, but it remained firm.

Brighouse: Jacob Giles, Tom Brown, Leon Henry, Nick Jaggar, Sam Hewitt, Joe Mitchell, Ryan Hall, Danny Naidole, Ernest Boafa, Tom Matthews, James Hurtley. Subs Luke Gibson, Paul Brown, Kieran Ryan, Ben Small, Patrick McGuire, Ben Thornton, Joe Thornton

Billingham: James Briggs, Steven Huggins, Daniel McWilliams, Andrew Burton, David Alderson, Matthew Osmond, Jim Wilson, Daniel Fowler, James Magowan, Nathan Jameson, Nathan Porritt. Subs Michael Sweet, Nathan Wilson, Foster Garton, Richard Gaston, Timothy Griffiths

Referee: Martin Woods (Bolton) .

Att: 220

Brighouse Town 4

Billingham Synthonia 0

FA Cup Replay

By Charlotte Henbest