Mixed fortunes for Old Boys as opening win is quickly forgotten

This was a disappointing performance by the Old Boys, who couldn’t compete with the all-round play of an enterprising Horbury side.

Playing four-four- two, Old Boys set their stall out to defend in numbers but to break quickly and catch Horbury off guard, with Richard Heines and Paul Taylor up front being the spearhead of the attack.

However, it was not to be and it was Horbury who took the game to the visitors using their tall centre forward Mike Hall as the target.

The home side took the lead from a lack of marking by the Brighouse side, Hall shooting past Jason Hibbert. Although Old Boys counter-attacked, the midfield of Calvin Lee, Chris Wdowczyk, Jimmy Cummings and James Coates failed to break through the tight defensive Horbury back four, the only chance falling to Taylor who, after a goal keeping error, unfortunately put his shot wide.

Horbury scored a second, this time from a corner, Hall once again putting the ball in the net.

A third followed soon after, this time a breakaway goal, with a home side midfielder running through and placing the ball past Hibbert, 
much to the dismay of the Old Boys, management and supporters.

In the second half, Brighouse responded well and competed with Horbury, creating chances but still failing to breakthrough.

And with that pressure failing to get the Old Boys back in the game, Horbury extended their lead, this time a solo 
effort plus a neat finish put the result beyond doubt with no way back for Brighouse.

Fresh legs were called for and Dan Heavyside, Tasios Liolios and Jordan Hadden came on to compete with Horbury and with these subs, to their credit, Old Boys kept going and were rewarded by a goal from Heins.

The sprightly centre forward chased down a back pass to the keeper whose attempt to clear the ball rebounded off Heins and into the net.

Nevertheless, it was not good enough from Old Boys who need to improve their all- round performance if they are to compete for honours in this league.

Brighouse Old Boys had opened their Premier Division account last Wednesday evening with a 2-0 home success over big-spending Huddersfield side Shelley.

They took the lead in the first half after Richard Heins had put Chris Wdowzki through and he went round the keeper and slotted the ball home.

In a quality game which into the second half looked as though it could go either way with possession being shared, Calvin Lee was brought down in the penalty area and Heins stepped up to complete the scoring.

Old Boys expected an 
onslaught from Shelley but it never materialised and they netted their first three points.

The club’s reserve team took a call on Saturday morning to say that Ripon City Reserves could not raise a side and so it was on to Leeds on Monday night where they lost 1-0 to East End Park 

Old Boys’ third team commenced their Huddersfield & District League Division season last night against Mount, while the first team were also taking on Wyke Wanderers in the Premier Division derby.

On Saturday Old Boys first team are away to Robin Hood Athletic (2.30pm) and the reserves are at home to their second string.