Late goals take Mixenden up to second

Football - Lee Mount (blue) v Bradshaw (red)'Andrew Riley for Lee Mount and Chris Woodhouse for Bradshaw.
Football - Lee Mount (blue) v Bradshaw (red)'Andrew Riley for Lee Mount and Chris Woodhouse for Bradshaw.

Mixenden United produced a big finish to beat Copley United 3-0 and climb from fifth to second place in the Premier Division of the Haslem-Sheppard Halifax AFL on Saturday.

It was goalless at Savile Park entering the final 15 minutes but Chris Woodhouse struck twice before youngster Lewis Oldridge sealed victory.

Mixenden, who were avenging a 3-2 home defeat a fortnight earlier, hit the bar in the first half.

Anthony Fenwick made a fine save to keep it 0-0 after the break but Woodhouse broke through from Scott Cartman’s pass to open the scoring.

Woodhouse’s second was a volley after good work from Travis Allinson and Oldridge got his name on the scoresheet with a stunning shot.

The other scheduled Premier game, between Warley Rangers and Shelf United, was postponed.

Sowerby United have still only dropped two points in Division One but were made to work hard for a 2-1 home win over AFC Crossleys.

Sowerby flew out of the traps and had the visitors pinned in their own half in the early stages.

Crossleys slowly got into the game and missed a good chance before a fine pass from James Clegg sent Harvey Walsh into the box and after beating two defenders he rifled home to give Sowerby the lead.

Both teams were playing good football but it was Sowerby who had the edge until David Mlodeski got free in the box and levelled.

This lifted the visitors, who went in search of a winner, but Dan Crossland was a commanding figure at the heart of the Sowerby defence.

The decisive goal went to Sowerby with 10 minutes left when Brad Gaimster was hauled down and from the free kick Oliver Smith curled in a superb strike from 25 yards.

Connor Bell struck twice as Elland Allstars put the record straight with a 3-1 win over derby rivals Elland United. They had been humbled 5-1 by United in a cup meeting three weeks earlier.

The clash between the second teams from neighbours Midgley United and Calder ‘76 finished 2-2.

Midgley, who started the day one point behind their visitors, looked set to leapfrog their rivals in the table when George Bamford and ex-Sowerby Bridge player Michael Rigby, back from ankle surgery, gave them a 2-0 lead.

However, John Moynes halved the deficit before the interval and Nathan Demspey equalised.

Both sides played well and a draw was a fair result.

St Columba’s have powered into an 11-point lead at the head of Division Two after thrashing Salem Reserves 12-0 away.

The in-form Saints looked confident from the start and raced into a 3-0 lead with goals from striker Frank Odion and wingers Jack Wilkinson and George Cook.

Odion finished with a hat-trick but that was bettered by Wilkinson, whose four goals included a penalty.

There were two goals apiece for Vinny O’Shea and George Cook with Kiutubo Touray rounding off the scoring on a tough day for Salem.

Illingworth St Mary’s Reserves surrendered second place to Greetland Reserves on goal difference.

Their recent poor form continued when they lost 4-3 away to Northowram Reserves.

The first half was even with both sides creating good chances but unable to finish. Just before the break Illingworth were guilty of over playing on a heavy pitch and Matt Calland raced clear and smashed the ball home.

Illingworth dominated the early stages of the second half and were rewarded when Brian Matthews raced clear and squared for Jack Pullen to tap in, before Tom McGregor scored a quick double, the first a stunning 30-yarder.

Illingworth made changes and from then on it was all Northowram, who clawed their way back with two well taken goals before Nicky Meade scored the winner with a neat finish.

Greetland hung on to a slender 2-1 first half lead with 10 men for the majority of the second period to beat Hebden Royd Red Star Reserves and maintain their excellent run.

A brace from veteran Karl Jowett put the hosts 2-0 up inside the first half hour, the first a long range right foot effort and the second a powerful shot with his left after a good pass from George Bainbridge.

Hebden came back strongly before half time and the pressure paid off as their centre half Lamin Touray beat stand in keeper Craig Hare to head home.

Chris Green received two yellow cards in quick succession early in the second half as the hosts became increasingly frustrated.

Hebden had some good chances before Oliver Hirst, Mark Hindle and Andy Hurcombe could have sealed the game for Greetland towards the end.