Keeper Tom back at town

BRIGHOUSE Town have sent out a clear message they mean business this season by re-signing goalkeeper Tom Taylor from Farsley Celtic.

Taylor, who has been on Town’s books before, after he left FC Halifax Town, was under the eye of the England C selectors last term and has been watched by a couple of Football League clubs.

He played in the 3-2 win over Buxton last Saturday and the 2-0 home win over Harrogate Railway Athletic on Tuesday, when manager Paul Quinn used 19 players.

The man Taylor has replaced, Paul Hagreen, has joined Garforth Town.

In the meantime last season’s Golden Boot winner Daniel Facey has left the club in search of pastures new. He hasn’t shown at any of the pre-season training sessions or matches and the management team of Quinn and Mark Booth say they are not worried in the slightest.

“We are set to make another major step forward this season and Danny could have been a part of this but he has chosen not to come back and we wish him well with his next club,” said Booth.

“We are very pleased with newcomers Stephen Mallory, Daniel Bunch and Jacob Buchanan and there will be more players over the next couple of weeks,” he added.

Bunch, who hails from Selby, joins from Farsley Celtic and has shown up well in all three games he has played so far.

There was an outing in midfielder during the second half on Tuesday for Cameron McGovern, who has joined on trial from Huddersfield Town’s academy.

Centre-half Dan Illingworth also made his long-awaited comeback after badly damaging an arm and shoulder joint in a game at Harrogate last season.

After a tame and goalless first half on Tuesday, eight changes brought improvement. Town soon found themselves a goal up. Skipper Adam Field came into the box from the right and powered in a shot which Bunch steered into the net on 47 minutes.

Five minutes later Ernest Boafo made it 2-0 after good work out on the right from Ash Scully, who looked very skilful and pacey on the ball in the second 45 minutes.

At this point Harrogate changed their goalkeeper, former Brighouse Town Development team keeper Luke Hirst taking over from Jake Lofthouse.

After that initial excitement the defences held sway, although Harrogate could have had a couple of goals with better finishing to capitalise on the good work of centre forward Izzy Mbrie.

Town also had their chances and Scully hit a post with Hirst beaten with five minutes to go.

Town’s next outing will be away to AFC Emley next Tuesday at the Old Welfare ground, before entertaining West Riding CAL Premier Division side Campion at the Dual Seal Stadium on Saturday, July 30 (2pm).

Turn to Page 39