Jeepers, keeper Tom strikes late for Town

Tom Taylor 1
Tom Taylor 1

TOWN snatched a dramatic injury time equaliser from the most unlikely of sources; goalkeeper Tom Taylor coming up for a corner in the fifth minute of injury time to thump a brilliant header past his counterpart Tom Draper in the Glasshoughton goal.

Town started well with Danny Naidole clipping a shot just over the crossbar in the first minute and soon after Ernest Boafa did likewise from Joe Mitchell’s excellent free kick into the box.

After this bright start the game settled down into a pattern that remained the same for the majority of the match; Town having plenty of possession but struggling to break down an extremely hard working Glasshoughton side that scrapped for every ball.

Play was scrappy and centred in a midfield battle with very little goalmouth action until Glasshoughton took the lead on 24 minutes with their first real chance of the game. A through ball caught the Town defence out and Liam Radford finished well from the edge of the box.

Town nearly forced an equaliser three minutes later when Naidole’s corner was headed against the underside of the bar by Boafa but bounced to safety. However, Town nearly fell further behind when Radford broke clear in the box again but was denied by a brilliant covering tackle by Leon Henry.

Town were struggling to make chances with the home defence coping well, Alex Wilson doing well to head away a cross from Tom Matthews that looked perfect for James Hurtley at the back post.

Manager Paul Quinn made a double substitution at half time, bringing Adam Wilson and Luke Gibson on for Ben Charlesworth and James Hurtley. After Nick Jagger’s perfectly timed tackle in the box to deny the dangerous Radford early on, the second half was dominated by Town and they started to create chances.

Wilson’s sliderule pass into the feet of Boafa saw him turn on the edge of the box and pull a left foot shot a yard wide on 55 minutes, and then good work from Boafa and Greg Porter created an opening for Gibson to volley wide of the mark. Tom Brown’s superb cross brought a great defensive header from Chris Hutchings to deny Boafa at the back post as Town piled on the pressure. Brilliant skill from Naidole on 63 minutes released Matthews in the box but Draper was quickly off his line to smother his shot.

Town made their last change on 73 minutes when Porter was replaced by Ben Thornton who would go on to play an important part in the game.

With 10 minutes remaining Town carved out another chance when Gibson and Naidole fed Boafa, but the ball ran away from him just as it looked like he had a clear opportunity to score. The powerful striker then made a chance for himself but again his shot was just off target.

In the 90th minute, with Town committing men forward in search of the equaliser, Glasshoughton broke through via Radford down the right wing; his pace took him into the box before he squared the ball to present Andy Fieldhouse with an open goal 12 yards out. His low shot looked destined for the bottom corner to wrap the game up for the host but he was denied by a brilliant goal line clearance by Thornton.

In the fifth minute of added time, Town forced a corner and sent all 11 players into the box. Naidole’s delivery was flighted perfectly for someone to attack, but nobody was expecting Taylor to launch himself above the defence and power a bullet of a header past Draper who was rooted to the spot.

Glasshoughton Welfare 1

Brighouse Town 1

Baris NCEL Premier Division

by Ray McLaughlin