Honours even after neighbours can finally resume their rivalry

Brighouse Old Boys
Brighouse Old Boys

PROMOTION for Wyke has meant a resumption of local derbies and honours ended even in the first meeting.

The Old Boys, playing down the slope in the first half, gradually increased the pressure against their counter-attacking hosts.

On 20 minutes, clever inter-play between Old Boys duo James Coates and Michael Barlow down the right put striker Richard Heins through and he chipped the onrushing goalkeeper and into the open net.

Five minutes later, Heins was once more put through, this time by new signing Chris Walton, but this time his shot went just wide.

Centre-backs Lee Williams and Ian Brock, along with good command of his six yard area by goalkeeper Jason Hibbert, kept the home side at bay.

Wyke used the slope advantage to exert more pressure on their opponents after the break but it was the Old Boys who doubled their lead when substitute Paul Taylor, who had replaced the injured Tom Gorringe, hit a low cross from the left and midfielder Tom Wright fired in from the edge of the six-yard area.

The home side hit back in the 70th minute when their right winger cut inside and hit an unstoppable shot from 20 yards.

Wyke forced several corners in succession and their equaliser came from a low corner that the Old Boys failed to clear, leaving a simple tap-in goal.

The Old Boys also earned a 1-1 draw at Robin Hood Athletic, electing to play against the wind in the first half.

With several players missing through a combination of holidays and injury, the Old Boys faced a team who had taken six points from them last season and finished very strongly.

A combination of poor passing in the final third and some good defending from the Old Boys restricted Robin Hood’s chances and Jason Hibbert pulled off some top saves.

On the half-hour mark, Robin Hood deservedly took the lead when their left winger took the ball inside the area and fired in an unstoppable shot.

Old Boys wingers Jordan Hadden and Jake Stewart put their opposite full-backs under pressure and tireless striker Calvin Lee also caused problems but it was 1-0 at the break.

Midfielders Chris Wdowskz and Tom Wright began to dominate and the equaliser came in the 75th minute when a corner on their right taken by Lee found co-striker Tassos Liolios unmarked to slot in from close range.

Although both teams then tried in vain to score the winner, neither team created any further clear cut chances and the Old Boys came away with another point.

Weakened Brighouse Old Boy Reserves suffered a 7-3 home defeat against Robin Hood Reserves 7 in their Alliance League Division One match.

Old Boys took the game to Robin Hood but were caught on the break and were 3-0 down at the break.

Fresh legs were called for in the second half and Peter Kuleczko, Glen Lee and Tom Garwood were introduced butn it was 4-0 before Greg Byram bundled the ball over the line.

Robin Hood exploited gaps at the back to make it 6-1 before a clever back-header from Warren Phillips from a corner by Kuleczko made it 6-2.

The Old Boys’ third came from a 30-yard drive from left winger Garwood but the visitors won 7-3.