Henry proves hero as manager Quinn hails an ‘excellent display’

Leon Henry scored the winner against Farsley
Leon Henry scored the winner against Farsley

CAPTAIN Leon Henry led by example, scoring a late winner against the former Conference club.

Brighouse manager Paul Quinn enthused: “It was an excellent performance, fantastic!

“It was frustrating at half-time as we had created plenty of chances and not put any in the net”.

Commenting on the disallowed strike from Ryan Hall’s thunderbolt first-half shot that hit the underside of the crossbar and came back down, Quinn continued: “Leon (Henry) and Ryan (Hall) were closest and they said it didn’t go over.”

After the loss at home a week last Monday to Ossett Town, Quinn said he had asked the lads to step up, which they had done with the win over Harrogate Railway Athletic and again at Farsley on Tuesday night.

“I thought James (Pollard) responded so well after being on the subs bench till late on Saturday, and he was outstanding. We had two central midfielders both 18 years of age out there on Tuesday and they both deserve credit.”

Missing from the side was Danny Facey, who had family commitments in London, and Chris Fisher, whose two-match ban is not due to start until Monday but who was unavailable due to injury. The repercussions of a dead leg caused swelling and the club physio wants to check it is not cruciate damage.

Dan Illingworth is also back from his long overseas trek and available to play in Saturday’s home FA Cup game but is unlikely to be picked, revealed the manager, until he has got up to speed.

Farsley piled on the pressure from the off and had three near-misses in the first five minutes, testing goalkeeper Paul Hagreen.

Town were given a free-kick on halfway on nine minutes, full-back Matthew Stor swung the ball to the right and Ernest Boafo headed the ball in for Henry but his resulting shot was straight at Farsley and ex-Brighouse Town goalkeeper Thomas Taylor.

Town were denied a goal in the 16th minute with that shot from Hall that hit the crossbar and the post and looked to have gone over but the referee waved for no goal.

Three minutes later and Hall cut through the Farsley defence from 35yards down the pitch before taking a shot which went just a foot wide.

James Pollard and Boafo also fired in shots before Farsley’s Neil Stevens set up Robbie O’Brien but he sent the ball wide.

Hall made another last-ditch attempt with 30 seconds remaining of the first half but Taylor just got to his hands to the ball and cleared.

The rain came at the start of the second half making for greasy conditions but the end-to-end action continued.

In the 63rd minute, top farsley player Lewis Nightingale was denied by Hagreen.

A free-kick from Pollard thudded off the goalkeeper’s chest before Steve Hollingworth was replaced by Kurt Harris in the 72nd minute. Three minute later, Nightingale failed to beat the impressive Hagreen with a free-kick.

Town scored the vital goal in the 77th minute fom a corner from Tom Haigh. It came in low and hard and Henry, inside a crowded six-yard area, prodded home.

Town followed up with a near miss from Harris following a super pass from man-of- the-match Hall before Boafo was replaced by Adam Wilson.

Brighouse Town: Hagreen, Thornton, Storr, Hewitt, Field, Pollard, Hall, Haigh, Boafo, Hollingworth,Henry. Substitutes: Wilson, Stead, Baldwin, Harris, Scully.