Hammers go goal crazy in cup win

editorial image

Halifax Hammers are through to the last eight of the West Riding Sunday Cup for the first time after a comfortable 11-5 home win over New Sharlston FC from Wakefield.

They took the lead after only three minutes, Sameer Ahmed smashing the ball into back of the net.

Sharlston broke the offside trap and chipped ‘keeper Bilal Sheraz for 1-1 but Hammers stepped up a gear with front four Matty Waller, Awais Khan, Sameer Ahmed and Terriq Pervez showing their paces and producing some fine one-touch passing.

Waller restored the lead and Awais made it 3-1 with a good solo goal.

Sharlston got their second against the run of play but when Waller was fouled just outside the box, fullback Jasim Salih hit an unstoppable free kick into the top corner.

Terriq Pervez made it 5-2 and Hammers picked up where they had left off in the second half when Awais notched a quick double to complete his hat trick.

Pervez made it 8-2 from a narrow angle before Sharlston got their third from a corner.

Hammers sub Shiraz scored with a fine individual effort and when Awais was bought down, ‘keeper Bilal scored with the spot kick.

Centre back Bakar Dar beat the offside trap to make it 11-3 before Sharlston scored two late goals.

Crown and Ovenden BCFC are the first two sides through to the semi-finals of the Springfield Camping League Cup after contrasting games at Savile Park.

Crown edged past fellow mid-table Division Two side Halifax Rangers 4-3 in an epic contest which had a missed penalty, a red card and late drama on a sodden surface.

The visitors from Brighouse started the brighter. Chris Payne’s early shot was tipped over before Chris Carter weaved was way into the area and stabbed the ball home.

Craig Gladwin had a chance to make it 2-0 but his effort was smothered by the ‘keeper at the near post.

Rangers had a spell of pressure and were rewarded after 22 minutes when Damo Parry headed Andy Bowe’s long throw goalwards and the unfortunate Lee McCallion diverted it past Crown keeper Kristian Ellis.

Payne side-footed Crown back in front but Rangers levelled again after the break when Ellis came to meet Howard Metcalfe’s free-kick in a crowded area and the ball skimmed off his hand and into his own net.

The game really burst into life in the last 20 minutes. Joe Sykes and sub Dave Phelan might have scored for Crown while Rangers’ leading scorer Sean Byrne hit the woodwork from the penalty spot.

Baird looked to have won it for Crown but his side then went down to 10 men with Phelan dismissed.

They conceded a late equaliser when a long through ball bobbled over Ellis as he tried to clear and Martin Bishop walked the ball into an empty net.

Rangers keeper Josh Ward made a terrific save to keep out an astonishing long range effort, only for the ‘keeper to inexplicably drop the ball at the feet of Payne who punished him with Crown’s winner.

Division One promotion contenders Ovenden were much more convincing winners, powering past a King Cross Park side who have yet to drop a point in Division Two by 5-1.