‘Hair-dryer’ treatment proves inspirational to five-star Town

Brighouse Town's Daniel Facey
Brighouse Town's Daniel Facey

Brighouse Town edged an eight-goal thriller on Monday night as they finally broke the resistance of Prescot Cables to surge to victory.

Trailing 3-2 at the break, Town needed some words of wisdom from manager Paul Quinn to transform their fortunes and grab the three points.

“We took our foot off the gas after a bright opening, and we said at half-time that we have to keep the pressure on, and especially at home, we need to turn the screw, because it wasn’t acceptable.

“We started the second half like a house on fire and we could have scored more but we need to show consistency for 90 minutes, but it’s an important win for us.”

A cross from Ernest Boafo that could have led to an opening goal went right across the face of goal but Daniel Facey could not connect.

In the 15th minute Town keeper Paul Hagreen kicked the ball down field, Steve Hollingworth beat Prescot player Jonah O’Reilly to the ball and rolled it past keeper Marcus Burgess to give Town the lead.

They should have made it 2-0 when Ryan Hall burst down the left and then proceeded to take the ball across the 18 yard box instead of a direct route and the chance was lost. Town’s left-back Chris Fisher, who had provided the ball for Hall, frequently found his colleagues with some deft through balls.

Prescot equalised in the 24th minute with Lloyd Dean supporting Rob Doran who walked the ball past Hagreen.

Prescot captain James McCulloch was booked in the 28th minute for a professional foul on Boafo.

The free-kick was taken just before the halfway line but Town were unable to capitalise as Burgess smothered the ball. Hagreen made a superb save in the 38th minute but from rebound, Doran put the ball back into the six-yard box for Josh Nicholson to head home and restore the visitors’ advantage.

Only 90 seconds into the second half and the hair-dryer treatment from the gaffer had seemingly worked as Boafo bore down on goal from the right and from his wayward shot, Facey calmly collected and levelled the scores.

Town took the lead in the 52nd minute, Adam Wilson found Facey who set up Hall for a one-on-one with Burgess and he fired the ball into the net. The home side then brought on fresh legs with James Pollard replacing James Hurtley.

Five minutes later and Town looked set to score again with a cross from Hollingworth finding Hall’s head but it just skimmed the crossbar.

Facey put daylight between the teams on the scoreboard when he rolled the ball into the net in the 61st minute.

Prescot pulled a goal back when James Hayes found the impressive Doran to score.

But Town restored their two-goal advantage from the penalty spot in the 76th minute when Martin Allison was brought down in the box just as he was about to pull the trigger.

Referee Gareth Rhodes had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Boafo stepped up to and put the homeside ahead at 5-3.

Town continued to defend and, at the same time attack, and in the fourth minute of extra time there was a near miss from Hollingworth before Allison was booked for a professional foul, but the job was done.

Brighouse Town: Hagreen,Thornton, Fisher, Wilson, Field, Allison,Hall, Hurtley, Facey, Hollingworth, Boafo.Substitutes: Illingworth, Stead, Baldwin, Harris, Pollard.