Garbe missing a host of players as they look for morale-boosting win

Brighouse Old Boys defender Ian Brock clears his lines during the 3-0 win over Carlton
Brighouse Old Boys defender Ian Brock clears his lines during the 3-0 win over Carlton
Share this article

Brighouse Old Boys manager Phil Garbe goes into this Saturday’s home West Yorkshire League Premier Division game with Otley Town (2.00) with major injury worries.

Centre back Ian Brock is unavailable, Alex Tait picked up a knee injury in the 1-0 reverse to Oxenhope, Tom Gorringe broke a finger at work and captain James Fletcher injured a knee in the re-arranged game at Field last Wednesday night.

Add these to long term sufferers Rob Kenny (groin), Chris Wdowczyk (Achilles), Matty Roy (metatarsel) and Andy Hall (leg) and he has almost a team on the sidelines.

“I have to really get into the squad that we have to be positive right now and not let the injury situation get on top of us before we kick a ball,” said Garbe.

“This is a six pointer as Otley are three points below us.

“We slipped down to fourth from bottom, but one win and we will be back in mid-table as its very tight down there.”

The reserves had a great 4-2 win at Kippax and are now fourth the the Alliance Division One.

This Saturday they are away to Old Headingley Res who have been struggling but had a good win over Robin Hood Athletic Res last weekend.

The Huddersfield League Division Four side lost 8-4 to Thornhill United and are at home to promotion-chasingMoorside (2.15)

Brighouse Old Boys 1

Oxenhope 2

West Yorkshire League Premier Division

Brighouse were left to reflect on what might have been as they slipped to a disappointing defeat.

It looked like it was going to be a bad day at the office when Oxenhope opened the scoring in the opening minute.

With six players missing through injury, Brighouse took some time to find their feet before dominating possession without creating any clear cut chances.

Oxenhope looked dangerous on the break andwere unlucky not to score with a couple of really good chances, the first one saved by Jason Hibbert, the second blasted high and wide.

The second half started in a similar vein, Old Boys pushing forward and Oxenhope hitting them on the counter attack.

Once again set pieces were the main threat with Reece Bray firing in a powerful shot from a free-kick 10 yards outside the area which was athletically saved by the Oxenhope ‘keeper.

Then came the sucker punch. Pushing forward, Old Boys were leaving gaps at the back and a good take by the Oxenhope number nine, a quick turn and a well placed shot beat Hibbert down to his left.

Old Boys made changes and switched to a 4-4-2 formationin the hope of getting back into the match. This seemed to work and they peppered the Oxenhope goal with a series of corners before, with two minutes to go, they finally prised the mean Oxenhope defence open, inevitably from a corner, expertly turned in off the shin of Ian Brock.

However it was too late and Oxenhope safely ran the clock down until the final whistle.