Feathers left spitting as Barge hold firm


Barge FC continued the excellent start to their Ziggys Metro Cars Halifax Sunday League Division One campaign by defeating Feathers FC at the weekend, but only after surviving a strong comeback from the visitors.

Matthew Bagshaw’s side dominated the first period, with David Woffenden and Sam Halstead a constant menace to the Feathers defence.

Man-of-the-match Andy Salm opened the scoring for the Brighouse side with a powerfully struck free-kick, before Woffenden doubled the home side’s advantage finishing off a well-worked team move.

Halstead got the goal his play deserved to make it 3-0 at the interval, but Feathers rallied impressively in the second period.

Parallels with Barge’s first half could easily be drawn as the visitors also netted from an excellent free-kick, before grabbing two more to bring their side level.

About 20 minutes of hard- fought stalemate ensued, before Halstead made himself the match-winning hero by netting a telling fourth to earn three points that keeps Bagshaw’s outfit top of the table with a four-point gap to their rivals.

In the Premier Division, Old Pond once more took opponents in goalless at the interval before running out of steam in the second period as Mount Tabor picked up a 5-0 victory.

Pond started well with Joe Shaw firing just wide of the post and Wayne Allert heading narrowly over from a Paul Taylor cross. Tabor had a good couple of chances themselves but the finishing from both sides was below par in the first period.

Andy Kelly fed Allert who couldn’t hit the target when well placed, before Richard Dawson headed a presentable chance over the bar. Dan Barnes made a number of fine saves and commanded his area well for Pond to keep Tabor at bay.

An early goal in the second period headed home by Adam Helliwell put Tabor in charge and a second from Joe Grimley further put the visitors in the ascendancy.

Helliwell added another, centre half Matthew Mason struck a free kick through the Pond wall and substitute Greg Austin wrapped up a victory for his side as Pond wilted.

In the West Riding County Cup, Top Club played out a close encounter on their sojourn out of the district, but lost by a solitary goal against Crossflatts Village.

In a tight first half with few opportunities, an unfortunate deflected goal striking James Lord on its way into the Top Club net was the difference.

Lord made amends in the second period as he was felled to give the visitors a penalty, but Ryan Barkham saw his spot-kick saved and the Bradford League side progressed to round two.

Crown FC were also eliminated in the First Round; having been placed in the higher level Cup competition rather than the Trophy more attuned to their Division Two status. Against an excellent Thornton United side they did themselves proud however – before falling to a 5-1 reversal.

Top Club Reserves also ducked out of the West Riding Sunday Trophy at the first hurdle. They fell to a 5-2 defeat away at George United in Oakenshaw.