Double success for Town’s ladies and Sports ladies

editorial image

Brighouse Town Ladies maintained their good start to the season after another solid performance away at Doncaster Rovers Foundation.

Town started brightly and looked confident, assured in possession and some slick passing and flowing football was a common theme during the first half, which resulted in a 3-0 lead.

The first goal came when Olivia Dangerfield raced down the right before cutting in and squaring to a determined Rachael White who got there first and slid the ball in to the goal.

The home side’s best chance came when their lively striker broke free and hit the post from the angle. That seemed to spur Town on and two quick fire goals left them in a commanding position. Claire Needham got the first when a cute lay off by Ayub was smashed from distance, taking a slight deflection, and in to the top corner and leaving the keeper with no chance.

Ayub then had an effort from distance which again hit the woodwork before Sonni Sweeney who was fastest to react, slotted home to make it 3-0.

In the second period, Rovers did manage to grab a goal against the run of play; a long ball was met and finished superbly looping the ball over keeper Anna Womersley from just outside the box.

Town responded straight away and a cross by White was met well and headed in by Needham for her second of the game, making the score 4-1.

Rovers grabbed a consolation late on when a corner wasn’t cleared leaving the attacker a free shot at goal which she duly took.

The win moves Town to within six points of the top with two games in hand. Next up is a tough home game with Wetherby at the Dual Seal on Sunday, November 24 (2.00). Admission is free.

Brighouse Sports Ladies progressed into the quarter-finals of the West Riding County Cup with a win over Division One Tingley Athletic.

Brighouse started well and took an early lead when Lauren Doyle got on the end of Leanne Smith’s cross to give them the lead.

Brighouse began to put a few moves together, firstly Lauren Doyle’s shot was saved by the keeper, but three minutes later Sarah Hemingway found Leanne Smith who was fouled just outside the area, and Smith dusted herself down before dispatching the resulting free kick into the back of the net.

In the second half, Smith raced clear after great work from Nessy Holroyd to fire a shot which went straight through the keeper to virtually finish the game off. Four minutes from time Hemingway fired in a half volley to make it four. while in the last couple of minutes Tingley scored a more than deserved goal after Scarfe had saved a free kick.

Next up for Brighouse is a trip to Brayton Belles Reserves in the League cup on Sunday.