Danny’s late goal as Town bounce back

Football - Brighouse Town v Parkgate.'Craig Thompson for Brighouse.
Football - Brighouse Town v Parkgate.'Craig Thompson for Brighouse.

BRIGHOUSE Town hit back after last week’s 5 - 0 league defeat at Barton by beating one of the best teams in the league, Parkgate from Sheffield.

It was real end-to-end stuff and supporters felt it was the best game they had seen in a long time.

Town manager Paul Quinn enthused: “I thought it was a cracking game of football, end-to-end and either side could have won it.

“I thought we were superb second half and deserved the win.

“Last week, we were commiserating a 5 - 0 defeat, but they (Parkagte) are one of the best sides out there at the moment and it shows how well we did.

“We have a week now to regroup and hopefully get another positive result next week.”

After three minutes Town’s Luke Gibson set Craig Thompson up with a sitter but he sent it wide of the target.

A minute later Anthony Haigh put a powerful shot on goal but it went straight into keeper Jamie Bailey’s hands.

In the ninth minute, Parkgate’s top scorer, Nathan Forbes-Swindell sent in a long range strike that went past Town keeper Ben Imeson and but hit the post.

Town put pressure on Parkgate and in the 22nd minute there was another attempt from Haigh.

The visitors replied with another near miss from Forbes-Swindell.

In the 32nd minute Town had a free kick for Forbes-Swindell bringing down Gibson, but the ball was kicked too far over the defensive line and Parkgate closed off any danger.

Brown then made a great tackle on Ashley Worsford who was on target to score until the Town man scuppered his chances.

Just before the end of the first half Imeson punched out Daniel Caldwell’s attempt to ensure there was no score at the break.

Town made a good start to the second period and it paid off when Danny Naidole put the ball in the net to go one up.

A few minutes later the lively Naidole passed to Thompson who ran down the wing but keeper Bailey saved the attempt.

The ball had appeared to go over the dead ball line but referee Gareth Mellor denied Town a corner.

In the 56th minute from a free kick, Forbes-Swindell swung the ball into the net to equalise.

Ten minutes later James Sutcliffe aimed a powerful shot on goal and from Bailey’s deflection Thompson tried to head it in but it just went wide.

A minute later Town’s pressure paid off when striker Haigh made it 2-1.

In the 69th minute Thompson was given a yellow card for a scuffle with Adam Shepherd and a minute later Parkgate were denied a goal when Imeson saved the first attempt with a parry and the south Yorkshire side put their second attempt in the net but it was ruled offside.

In the 72nd minute the impressive Forbes-Swindell got his second as the visitors equalised.

Parkgate’s Keir Hannity was then booked for back chat.

It became a game of ping pong as both teams were fighting to score the probable winner.

In the 80th minute Haigh fired in a great shot but Bailey responded with a great save.

Three minutes later Naidole from 25 yards out on the angle just skimmed the top of the crossbar and Gibson’s attempt a few minutes later went wide.

In the 87th minute, however, Naidole went one-on-one with the keeper and made it 3-2.

Frustrations boiled over in the four minutes of added time and Parkgate were reduced to 10 men when Danny Major, who had just come off the bench, was given a red card for a two footed tackle on Sutcliffe and Town went of to take a deserved win.