Cannon’s double salvo in vain

Actions from Brighouse Sports v Warley Rangers at Lane Head. Pictured are Chris Allan and Chris Hall
Actions from Brighouse Sports v Warley Rangers at Lane Head. Pictured are Chris Allan and Chris Hall
Share this article

Calder ‘76 fought back from two goals down after 10 minutes away to Mixenden United to make Challenge Cup progress by 4-3.

A Danny Johnson penalty and a Martin Cannon effort gave the Natty Lane side hopes of second round success against their division-higher visitors in the Halifax AFL competition.

However, Calder were level by half time and went 4-2 up with doubles from Jonny Gibson and Max Crossley.

The Natty Lane side were in no mood to throw in the towel and pushed Richard Stock up front.

Cannon scored his second with a good shot from just outside the box into the top corner but Calder were not to be denied.

West Central turned up 35 minutes late for the tie at Midgley United and were soundly beaten 6-1.

Their disorganisation was reflected on the pitch as Midgley strolled into a 5-0 interval lead, aided by a George Bamford hat-trick in the opening 25 minutes.

Toby Standring broke through on the right and made the most of the space allowed him to open the scoring after five minutes.

Rob Stanfield paved the way for Bamford to open his account and the front man then cashed in on Jason Cartlidge’s header to go through and score.

A Bamford penalty was followed by a Greg Spink finish following good work from Stansfield down the left.

West Central battled better down the slope in the second half.

Ian Hudson wrong-footed a defender and the keeper to make it 6-0.

West Central got one back through Saad Hussain and there was no addition to the scoreline in the last 20 minutes, Stansfield and Jordan Dean going close for the hosts.

In-form Warley Rangers also won by a five-goal margin, hosts Brighouse Sports being unable to find the net.

Division One leaders Holmfield lost to Premier opposition for the second week running in knockout football, going down 4-3 at home to Copley United.

Two goals each for Gary Ash and Michael Priestley did the trick for Copley.

A brace from Chris Woodhouse and one from Sam Hillhouse proved in vain for Holmfield, who had bowed out of the Halifax FA Cup at Hebden Royd Red Star seven days earlier.

Star were unable to follow up that success, visitors Shelf United playing the better football and winning 4-3 against their most robust approach.

The visitors went 3-0 up inside half an hour.

Adie Balding put Shelf ahead after two minutes with a 25-yard half-volley.

Craig Fletcher doubled the lead with a cross cum shot which took a deflection and it was from Fltecher’s long throw that Billy Grogan stabbed home Shelf’s third.

Red Star missed a penalty five minutes before the break but Luke Chadwick, brought down for the spot kick, did reduce the deficit by lobbing ‘keeper Danny Gill.

A Patrick Thomas penalty made it 2-3 after the break but Oliver Coates showed plenty of determination to score Shelf’s fourth midway through the half.

Star set up an exciting finish when Danny Lumb scored following a long throw with 15 minutes left but Shelf withstood pressure and Coates missed a good chance to wrap it up.

Calder ‘76 were another side to win 4-3 away, their success coming away to division-lower Mixenden.

Ryburn United needed extra time to get past Greetland, who had back-to-back successes in this competition from 2008 to 2010.

It was 0-0 after 90 minutes but goals from Bradley Waddington and John Wadsworth took Ryburn through.

A new date will have to be found for the Elland Allstars versus Denholme United contest which was unable to take place because of travellers on the pitch at Hullen Edge.

Ryburn United Reserves, beaten by Shelf FC when favourites in last season’s Invitation Cup final, indicated that they intend to go one better this season.

Although they play a division higher than Illingworth St Mary’s, they were probably underdogs for Saturday’s second round cup game after Saints had beaten Premier side Greetland 2-0 away in the Halifax FA Cup the previous Saturday.

However, Ryburn won 4-1 with the help of a hat-trick from Ash Shaw.

Shelf, in contrast, bowed out 3-2 at home to Midgley United Reserves with James Balmforth getting all the visitors’ goals.

The other Shelf side in the competition, Shelf United Reserves, beat visitors Hebden Royd Red Star Reserves with the help of two goals from Andy Bottomley.

Another player among the goals was St Columbas’ Ryan O’Neill. He bagged three in his side’s expected win over visitors AFC Crossley’s Reserves, the game finishing 6-3.

Volunteer Arms joined Holmfield on 16 points at the top of Division One with the help of a Mark Kelsey hat-trick away to Halifax Irish Centre.

Paul Graham and Luke Oldridge were also on target for the West Vale visitors, veteran Steve Galloway getting Irish’s goal.

Stainland United almost doubled their league goal tally for the season with five at Sowerby Bridge. Unfortunately for them they conceded eight, Luke Maguire scoring a hat-trick and Dean Fulton two - as their quest for a first league win of the campaign goes on.

Salem picked up only a second win with a 3-1 home success over Calder ‘76 Reserves, Ben Huson, Tom Neville and Tyson Illingworth delivering the knockout punches.

New side Northowram Reserves had player-manager Brett Abson on the scoresheet again as they made it five wins from seven in Division Two with a 4-3 success away to lowly Sowerby United Reserves.

Honours were even in the other game, Salem Reserves picking up a fifth point of the season thanks to Martin Jenkins’ goal in a 1-1 draw away to Denholme Reserves.