Brown takes his chance to shine as Town ease through

Danny Naidole scores in the Brighouse Town v Barton Town football at St Giles Road.
Danny Naidole scores in the Brighouse Town v Barton Town football at St Giles Road.

Paul Quinn gave the West Riding County Cup the respect it deserved by fielding a very strong side against NCEL Division One side Yorkshire Amateurs.

The most noteable ommision from the starting lineup was top scorer Tom Matthews who was rested to the bench.

This gave Antony Brown the chance to step up and play a full 90 minutes after several recent appearance off the bench, and the ex-Huddersfield Town Academy player took his chance by turning in a man of the match performance.

Youngster, Joe Thornton also played his first 90 minutes for the club and he too is getting better with every appearance he makes.

Early pressure from Town saw Leon Henry and Adam Field force Mark Bower in the Ammers goal to make saves as Town had the majority of the possession.

However, it was not one-way traffic as Ammers played some good football with plenty of pace along with the experience of Roy Stammer and Dempsey Smith.

Ryan Hall brought out another save from Bower and Smith squandered Ammers’ best chance when he shot wide when clear on goal.

Town started the second half with real purpose, nearly taking the lead immediately when Joe Thornton’s excellent cross was just headed over by Luke Gibson.

Town’s pressure paid off on 51 minutes when Brown raced through, rounded the keeper and stroked the ball home.

Town had reasonable control of the game but Ammers were always a threat.

It took until the 81st minute for Town to get the second goal when Ben Small smashed home Sam Hewitt’s knock down from a corner and kill the game off.

Ammers pulled an excellently taken goal back from Sean Warde on 87 minutes to make for a nervy ending which Town managed to see out.

Town will be at home to Wakefield after they defeated Garforth 3-0.

Athersley Recreation 2

Brighouse Town 3

By Ray McLaughlin

Toolstation NCEL Premier Division

Town came out on top in an entertaining and competitive match against a good Athersley side last weekend.

Town had an early penalty shout turned down when Ryan White challenged Ernest Boafo inside the box.

Athersley then started to get on top, hitting long balls to Joe Thornton who brought a near post save from Jacob Giles on eight minutes before Daniel Joynes headed White’s cross over the bar.

He made up for this a minute later when Town were caught out with another long ball to Thornton that Leon Henry did well to thwart initially, but the ball broke to Joynes on the edge of the box and he finished superbly.

Town forced a deserved equaliser when Naidole smashed home a free kick aided by a slight deflection.

Athersley started the second half with another chance when Ryan Blackburn headed White’s corner just over but then Town took control and took the lead on 58 minutes from a Naidole free kick from just outside the box.

It was gainst the run of play when Jason Bentley broke and Giles had to save well with his feet. From the resulting corner, Kyle Cook turned the ball back into the box for sub Rob Cartwright to score with a back post header.

The last 20 minutes became more even before Town finally got the decisive third goal on 86 minutes when Naidole’s free kick caused havoc in the home defence and when they failed to clear, it left Sam Hewitt free to tap in. Yorkshire Amateurs 1

Brighouse Town 2

By Ray McLaughlin