Brighouse Town 2 Farsley Celtic 1: Pollard and Hall on target to seal victory for Town

Brighouse Town manager Paul Quinn
Brighouse Town manager Paul Quinn

BRIGHOUS Town battled hard for a Yorkshire derby victory against a resurgent side showing several new faces, including striker Paul Walker, on loan from Bradford Park Avenue.

“It was an ugly win and we didn’t play anywhere near our best but I said at half-time we have to grind a win out and we kept going and get the three points,” said Town manager Paul Quinn after Monday’s triumph.

“They (Farsley) are a strong side and I thought they played well. We had opportunities to kill it but after the weekend game we are pleased to have picked up four points. We were resilient and we held on.

“Once more I was pleased with the defence and the way they handled this new-look Farsley side with the likes of Adam Clayton, Paddy Miller, Lewis Nightingale and Walker, who was the fans’ ‘Player of the Year’ at Park Avenue last term, in it.

“Paul Hagreen had another sound game in goal although he will probably be annoyed with himself for his positioning for their goal. His one-handed diving save from a Walker pile-driver in the second half was top drawer.”

Ryan Hall was denied in a one-on-one with former Town and FC Halifax Town goalkeeper Tom Taylor, who also denied Leon Henry from a follow-up attempt after Adam Wilson had knocked the ball past him but wide.

At the other end, Ross Daly, Walker and Aiden Savory were finding it hard to get any change out of a tight back four led by Wilson and backed by Daniel Illingworth, Chris Fisher and Adam Field.

Brighouse scored in the 33rd minute with a free-kick from teenager James Pollard from 3o yards out on the left after a heavy tackle on Henry by experienced Aaron Hardy, formerly of FC Halifax Town, Guiseley and Huddersfield Town.

Two minutes later and Hall ran the ball into the area and beat Taylor from a narrow angle.

Savory tested Hagreen as Farsley fought back but two minutes into the second-half Taylor had to pull out all the stops to deny Ernest Boafo.

Hagreen then made a great save from Walker and Fisher fired narrowly over from 30 yards out before Farsley scored in the 66th minute.

Nightingale put in the cross for Savory to head home.

Fisher’s free-kick at one end curled over the bar and Hagreen did well to punch over a free-kick from Walker at the other.

Brighouse made their third change when Henry was replaced by Steve Hollingworth and they finished strongly.

James Hurtley crossed for Haigh but Taylor caught the header and, in the fourth minute of stoppage time, Ernest Boafo should have sealed the game.

On his own in the Farsley half and with just Taylor to beat, he took the ball right up to the goalkeeper, who made a well-timed grab off his feet.

Brighouse Town: Hagreen, Field, Fisher, Wilson, Illingworth, Hurtley, Hall, Pollard, Facey, Boafo, Henry. Substitutes: Hewitt, Stead, Hollingworth, Harris, Haigh.

Farsley Celtic: Taylor, Hardy, Grant, O’Brien, Clayton, Miller, Nightingale, Daly, Walker, Savory, Howarth. Substitutes: Osbourne, Lofthouse, Hancock, Sugden, Harrison.

Referee: Dean Watson.