Brighouse Town 1 Trafford AFC 1: Last-gasp penalty blow leaves manager Quinn in downbeat mood

LEADING THE WAY: Captain Leon Henry has recovered from hamstring trouble and was at the heart of many of Brighouse Town's best moves.
LEADING THE WAY: Captain Leon Henry has recovered from hamstring trouble and was at the heart of many of Brighouse Town's best moves.

Brighouse Town were denied victory after conceding a penalty in stoppage time to their high-riding opponents.

It was still a fine if frustrating result as Brighouse had gone into the game lacking experience at the back owing to injuries and unavailability.

Adam Wilson, who has been leading the side while Leon Henry has been on the bench after his hamstring problems, was missing along with Sam Hewitt, Dan Illingworth, Ben Thornton, Will Tolley, suspended midfield man Tom Haigh and striker Steve Hollingworth.

The bench comprised teenage prospects from the development team.

Referee Christopher Ward kept a loose rein on the match but blew up for hands in the ‘92nd minute’ a minute after ignoring Brighouse free-kick claims after captain Henry had been taken out.

Flixton-based Trafford soon put the frighteners on when Evan Gumbs fired in a shot but goalkeeper Paul Hagreen cleared the danger.

Town responded via the Henry-Ernest Boafo combo and also tested Trafford goalkeeper Russell Saunders.

In the 28th minute, the ball travelled down the middle and Henry put in a header for Ryan Hall to go one-on-one with the keeper but he chipped the ball wide.

Four minutes later and Town were back in the Trafford area with great team work from Chris Fisher and Henry again, and it was Hall who was set up but his shot cleared the bar.

It was goalless at the break but Town had the upper hand.

They brought on fresh legs for the second half with Martin Allison being replaced by Tim Wallace.

Fleetwood’s Daniel Caldecott soon rattled a post but Town got their goal in the 55th minute as Hall and Boafo combined and Boafo beat the advancing Saunders to roll the ball over the line.

With four minutes to go Hagreen pulled off a superb save as a short blast shot from Jack Dorney almost went through his legs but the Town keeper just managed to grab the ball and stop the visitors levelling the scores.

A minute to go and Daniel Facey, who has been quiet, chipped the ball towards the Trafford goal but it went over the crossbar.

Three minutes into stoppage time and the referee gave a penalty as James Pollard handled.

Dorney stepped up to take the shot and levelled the scores to end the game.

Downbeat Town manager Paul Quinn surfaced to say: “Today was very frustrating, and overall we didn’t deserve to win the game but having a winning position in the ‘93rd minute’ we have to close the game out.

“That’s six points dropped in the last four games as a result of last-gasp goals, something we have to address.”

Town’s new signing from Curzon Ashton, Mark Bett, watched the game after picking up an injury in training on the Thursday night.

Brighouse: Hagreen, Pollard, Fisher, Hurtley, Field, Allison, Hall, Harris, Facey, Boafo, Henry. Subs: Baldwin, Stead, Stor, Scully, Wallace.

Trafford: Saunders, Woodford, Caldecott, Gumbs, Granite, Ledson, Rick, Jacobs, Noar, Dorney, Horrocks. Subs: Lambert, Reece, Roberts-Nurse, Tuanzebe, Palmer.

Referee: Christopher Ward.