Big club’s juniors prove to be no match for energetic Brighouse

Ernest Boafa for Brighouse.
Ernest Boafa for Brighouse.

Goals from twin strike force Ernest Boafo and debutant Daniel Facey ensured Town beat the talented young Terriers in what was at times a fiesty pre-season friendly.

In the first ten minutes there was nothing to split the two sides as play switched from end to end, and only a 30-yard strike after five minutes by the Terriers 6ft 6ins midfielder Phil Billing, that flew over the crossbar, came near to opening either side’s account.

On 11 minutes Boafo was fouled some 25 yards out from goal but James Pollard sent the free-kick over the wall and the crossbar. Six minutes later and Facey was in on goal after good work on the right from Boafo and pacey Ryan Hall, and was about to pull the trigger when referees’ assistant Arnie Thorpe raised his flag for offside.

On 20 minutes the Terriers should have gone ahead when, following a cross from the right by Jacob Hanson, all Jake Charles had to do was put his head to the ball but the chance was lost.

Town were playing a quick passing game that was giving the Terriers problems, with James Hurtley and Pollard assured in midfield along with Hall out wide. It was Hurtley who led to Town and the game’s opening goal when he was brought down in the box by Jack Senior. Boafo stepped up to the spot, and with a bullet shot beat Sam Guthrie.

It was all Town at this stage as a very solid Sam Hewitt was in complete charge of the back four. Flo Bojaj had a good chance to grab an equaliser on 31 minutes when he came in from the left and unleashed a shot which Paul Hagreen did well to palm away for a corner. Billing had a shot blocked by Hurtley.

Town then had several chances leading up to the break to increase their lead, first through Leon Henry and Hall but they fluffed their lines with only Guthrie to beat. Then Facey almost beat Guthrie with a quick turn and shot on target, before Charles at the other end found the net but he had been flagged offside. Pollard, Hall and Facey combined again ahead of the whistle but it remained 1-0 to the home side at the break.

Pollard failed to return after picking up an ankle knock and Tom Haigh took his place.

Two minutes in and Facey was kicking himself after failing to head home a Ben Thornton corner. Boafo, who was looking extremely sharp, was fouled and replaced by Steve Hollingworth who went on to have a fine 30 minutes. Adam Wilson also came on for Adam Field and keeper Hagreen made way for Development team keeper Harry Stead.

Hall and Facey combined well and it looked as though on 70 minutes it would be 2-0 but the Terriers cleared and play switched to the other end where Sondre Tronstad failed to guide his header from a Charles cross into the net.

Three minutes later and it was 2-0 to Town as Facey blasted in from the right after turning his defender.

Isaac Baldwin then replaced Hall for the last 15 minutes and was just wide with a screaming 25-yarder.

The Terriers did pull a goal back on 83 minutes when following a goalmouth scramble Bojaj stuck a foot out and got the ball over the line.

Town then put promising youngsters Ash Scully and Kurt Harris on for a run in what had been a very promising 90 minutes for the management and home fans.