Bad night at the seaside for Town

Retford United 1-0 Brighouse Town'Baris NCEL Premier Division'Saturday 15th September 2012'Reece Thompson in action for Retford United.''Jon Knight 07825 047766
Retford United 1-0 Brighouse Town'Baris NCEL Premier Division'Saturday 15th September 2012'Reece Thompson in action for Retford United.''Jon Knight 07825 047766

Bridlington took the spoils in this thrilling encounter in which both sides had plenty of chances as the game flowed from end to end.

Brighouse started brightly and were first out of the blocks, creating their first chance as early as the second minute when Tom Matthews knocked the ball into Ernest Boafa just inside the Bridlington box. Boafa held off Chris Jenkinson before giving Matthew’s the ball back, but he couldn’t beat Paul Fraser who moved well to his left to deny the forward.

Boafa had the Brid defence on the run in the seventh minute when he outpaced their back four but Fraser again made a good save.

Fraser was again in the thick of the action when, from a Joe Mitchell corner, James Hurtley out jumped the home defence but the keeper made a point blank save.

Man of the match Leon Henry was starting to weave his magic down the left and a mazy run and cross found Matthew’s in the penalty area but Chris Batchelor got a foot in to send the ball for a corner.

A well worked routine found Matthew’s in the box, but again Fraser made a good save. Seconds later Luke Gibson stung Fraser’s fingers from all of 25 yards out.

Bridlington created a great chance on 17 minutes, when Billy Logan slipped Stewart in down the middle but the home striker sent the ball a yard wide of Tom Taylor’s goal, when he was well placed inside the box.

On 25 minutes a long ball had Brighouse at full stretch when Craig Hogg flicked the ball into the path of Stewart, but Adam Wilson was alive and blocked the shot for a corner.

An injury to Gibson, and with Brighouse temporarily down to 10 men, saw Bridlington taking full advantage when on 35 minutes Ash Allanson found space just inside the Brighouse half and he delivered a pin point cross onto the head of Stewart who directed his header back across goal into the top right hand corner of Taylor’s net.

Tom Brown replaced Gibson, with Henry pushing forward into midfield.

On 42 minutes a through ball beat the stretched Brighouse defence, with Stewart in again, but Taylor saved well with his feet.

With half time approaching Brighouse regained parity in the game when a move started by Henry found Tom Brown in space down the left wing. The full back swung a great cross into the area where Matthew’s controlled the ball with his back to goal. He held off Batchelor before setting up Boafa who made no mistake from 12 yards out.

Craig Hogg and Scott Phillips took the game to Brighouse and it was a full 10 minutes before they tested the home side when a cross from James Sutcliffe had Fraser scrambling, but the keeper managed to punch the ball for a corner with Mathew’s ready to pounce at the back post.

Brighouse thought they had taken the lead just before thwe hour when the impressive Adam Wilson broke; he advanced deep into enemy territory before slipping James Hurtley in on goal.

Hurtley beat the exposed Fraser but not the linesman’s flag, as the midfielder was given offside.

Both teams were holding on, but on 68 minutes it was Bridlington who took the all important lead when a free kick from wide right by Chris Batchelor beat Taylor.

On 70 minutes Brighouse replaced Greg Porter with Ben Charlesworth and a minute later Matthews shot wide after good work by Henry.

Bridlington should have added to their lead on 72 minutes, when Josh Greening fed Hogg. He slipped Stewart in on goal, but Taylor again came to his side’s rescue.

Bridlington’s goal then had a charmed life, when Boafa found Joe Mitchell, the young midfielder crossed for Hurtley, the ball came off Hurtley to beat Fraser, but to the keeper’s relief it went agonisingly wide.

On 83 minutes Antony Brown replaced Ben Thornton, who had defended manfully throughout the game.

Brighouse pushed forward for an equaliser, committing men forward at every opportunity, and with just three minutes remaining Bridlington’s goal had another escape when a Sutcliffe free kick was headed back across goal by Ben Charlesworth.

The game seemed to freeze with everybody beaten, but the ball came back off the right upright for Allanson to clear the danger.

Then the move of the game then almost resulted in a Brighouse goal.

It started with Henry deep in his half and he played a one-two with Charleworth just inside the home half. The tbig defender held up the ball before slipping Henry in down the left; the flying winger raced clear of the defence, but from his cross Antony Brown couldn’t add the finishing touch at the back post.

The danger still wasn’t over, Sutcliffe recovered the ball, before finding Matthews, but the striker fired his shot narrowly over the bar.