Ashton’s secrecy punished as Town continue strong build-up

Brighouse Town came out all guns blazing on Saturday afternoon as they had another run out in a pre-season friendly against Ashton United.

The visiting Greater Manchester team played their cards close to their chest and would not name a team, instead the official team sheet listed 11 players under A Trialist.

In the first half Town controlled the game for large periods; Ashton tried to pull it back with an early spell in the second half but Town then peppered the Ashton goal 
and won the game convincingly.

Town started strong and in the second minute Tom Haigh delivered the perfect ball to Leon Henry who charged down the wing before crossing to Isaac Baldwin, he fired toward the goal but the ball hit the corner of the crossbar, and bounced back out and Kurt Harris took a shot but the goal was well defended by the Ashton keeper.

A minute later and Daniel Facey was also denied with his attempt.

In the sixth minute Facey took another shot to which the Ashton keeper again defended well.

A minute later and Facey put Town one up with assistance from James Pollard and Baldwin.

Ashton’s first attempt on goal came after 13 minutes from 30 yards out, the opposition’s right winger trialist fired the ball but it went wide of the goal.

In the 28th minute, Henry and Steve Hollingworth raced down the field towards the Ashton goalkeeper 
and, as he came out to meet them, the ball was chipped over 
by Hollingworth but the 
ball went clear of the open goal.

Town continued to boss the half and went in at half-time 1-0 up.

During the break, Town manger Paul Quinn made substitutions with Harris and Henry benched and replaced by Sam Hewitt and James Hurtley.

Ashton started the second half the stronger side and their hard work paid off in the 52nd minute when a substitute trialist put the ball past Town keeper Paul Hagreen to level the scores at 1-1.

Four minutes later and Town subbed Haigh and Facey, replacing that duo with Ernest Boafo and Martin Allison.

Ten minutes later and Adam Field and Baldwin were brought off and Ashley Scully and Harry Stead were brought on.

In the 76th minute from a free-kick, Ashton were on target with the ball skimming the grass, Hagreen dived and saved the ball down at his post, but from the deflection Ashton’s centre forward slipped the ball into the net, but it was disallowed for offside and the score remained at 1-1.

Town responded in the 80th minute after a foul on Scully.

Allison took a free kick and it was Pollard who put it in the back of the net to give Town a 2-1 lead.

Three minutes later and Town made it 3-1 with a superb display of team work; Hollingworth adding his name to the score sheet.

Town put the final nail in the Ashton coffin in the 88th minute with a fast-paced goal again from Hollingworth to finish the game in a real positive manner.

Brighouse Town: Hagreen, Pollard, Fisher, Wilson, Field, Harris, Baldwin, Haigh, Facey, Hollingworth, Henry. Subs: Boafo, Stead, Hewitt, Hurtley, Scully, Allison, Stor.