Draw was a fair result for Town

THIS match was competitive throughout and both teams did everything they could to win in the sweltering heat of Derbyshire.

Town made a good start with Ryan Brook and Wayne Crossley’s understanding of each other’s game allowing the latter to put two dangerous crosses into the box within the first two minutes.

Brook received an elbow to the temple that forced him to be substituted at half-time and when Matty Sparkes received a similar elbow to the head moments later it resulted in a mini-scuffle that the referee managed to control without showing any yellow cards.

Town had a great chance to take the lead when Nathan Cartman slipped the ball through to Lee Burgess who brought a fine save from Simon Baldwin.

The 23rd minute saw United create their first chance with a long range effort that went wide from Kelvin Mushambi.

Danny Hull was the driving force in the midfield for getting Town on the offensive.

The youngster, who still qualifies for Town’s Academy side, was as impressive with his workrate as he was with his use of the ball, and has established himself as a vital part of the Town set-up.

On 35 minutes, keeper Paul Hagreen came to Town’s rescue with a brilliant point blank reaction save from Kevin Mabon’s.

Two minutes later, Glen O’Gara showed strength and determination to deal with a dangerous through ball and then hit a 50-yard pass to find the run of Alex O’Keefe whose header looped wide of goal.

Crossley played a neat one-two with Brooke but had his near post shot saved by Baldwin on 40 minutes. Just before the break, United had a great chance to take the lead but Hagreen saved comfortably.

Brook’s last involvement in the game was a crucial block tackle in the box on Mabon right on half-time.

Joe Swallow replaced Brook for the second half, and the youngster did not put a foot wrong throughout.

On 53 minutes, Hull burst forward with the ball and carried on into the opposition box, where he picked out the run of his midfield partner Sparkes whose shot was blocked, so too was the follow up from O’Keefe, but the ball broke to Burgess just inside the box but his shot cleared the crossbar.

On the hour, United had a couple of efforts on goal, first Alex Hallam heading out from under his own crossbar and then Hagreen getting down well to make a low save.

Sparkes had a header saved, before Hagreen again saved after a goalmouth scramble. United had another chance on 76 minutes but Campbell headed over.

Town had to go on the defensive and ten minutes left, Town blooded another Academy player, Omar Habeeb making his Town debut, and he nearly make an immediate impact after he combined with Riley from a throw-in and nearly lobbed the ball over Baldwin, but the home keeper clawed it away for a corner.

Spurred on by Hull, Town had a last assault on the home goal and in the final minute Cartman’s goalbound shot was deflected over for a corner.

Both sides felt a draw was a fair result.