Chances go begging

ON a wind effected day, Saints seemed to deal better with the elements at the start.

The pacy front two caused the Brighouse back four of Joe Nelson, Lee Williams, Andy Burton and Matty Roy problems and opened the score when a strong run on the right, followed by an accurate cross, led to the left winger aiming a low shot past Jason Hibbert in the visitors’ goal.

This seemed to spur the Old Boys on and they soon grasped control with their slick short passing game dominating the possession up front.

They were unlucky not to score when a freekick from James Fletcher was athletically saved by the Saints keeper and, the rebound, pounced on by Rob Kenny, was again tipped over the bar.

The pressure had to pay in the end and a few minutes later an excellent one-two between Kenny and Fletcher allowed Kenny to finish with a spectacular shot, a powerful chip with the outside of his right foot into the top of the net.

The omens looked good for Old Boys and, in the second half, changes were made to sustain the tempo, Roy and tricky Luke Johnson switching places, with Mike Pearson on the left and Mike Barlow in the middle of midfield.

With the assured skills of Adam Williams probing the Saints defence and Joe Nelson driving the team forward on the right, chances were bound to be created.

With Old Boys going for the win, the game completely opened up and it could have ended up four apiece.

Kenny had two golden chances. The first was a one-on-one with the keeper, the shot just being saved.

The second came after good work by sub Mike Pearson but a clever flick was again saved by the Saints defence.

At the other end though Old Boys could have conceded two themselves. Johnson headed off the line from a corner and, Burton again off the line, contorting his body to head the ball away.

Old Boys were perhaps disappointed not to get the three points after their first half performance but eventually got a good draw against an awkward team that are likely to end up in the top half of the league.