Brods’ season of toil goes on

Actions from the game, Old Brods v Wath at Woodhead, Hipperholme'Pictured is Rob Jennings
Actions from the game, Old Brods v Wath at Woodhead, Hipperholme'Pictured is Rob Jennings

BRODS crashed to another defeat in Yorkshire One, this time away at Driffield, and will look to improve their performance on Saturday in the vital derby game at home to Heath.

The Hipperholme side were guilty of too many unforced errors, losing possession at vital times and allowing the home team to build an unassailable lead before showing their abilities when the game was lost.

Brods played with the wind in the first half, but Driffield dominated the opening exchanges and scored after 10 minutes when a quickly taken free kick was supported by blind side flanker Rob Hamilton who released the ball to full-back Danny smith to score wide on the left. Smith converted his try from the touchline.

Liam Scott was yellow carded while defending a foray from the visitors and another quickly taken free kick resulted in a score from scrum-half Harding. Smith again converted to extend the lead 14-0 after 20 minutes.

Brods countered with Jennings running strongly and having exerted pressure on the Driffield line were awarded a penalty for offside, Wood taking advantage and making it 13-3 after 30 minutes play.

On the stroke of half time Driffield won a line out close to the Brods line and when the maul was formed drove to the Brods line the try was awarded.

In the second half, Brods’ scrum was solid and despite the strong wind Brods won their fair share of ball from lineout. A penalty was conceded for offside and Smith took advantage to extend the lead to 22-3.

Smith followed this up with an arking run and showed great pace to outflank the cover for a further try which he converted.

Two more penalties completed the Driffield scoring and in the closing minutes Alex Dawson crossed for Brods, Wood converting.

Driffield 35

Old Brodleians 10

Coastal cruise

THE first round of the Yorkshire Cup saw Old Brods U15s on the road to Scarborough.

Brods have encountered Scarborough before and it was evident that although Brods were still dominant throughout the game Scarborough were better drilled and had improved defensively since their last encounter.

The first try came from Brods by Harry Dunne and set the stage for the tries that followed, by Toby West and Elliot Craven, converted by Tom Wilson. Brods attacked well, passing the ball out wide and quick movement of play.

Scarborough fought well but were unable to keep Brods out as the first half ended with a second try by West, converted, taking the score to 24-0 in favour of Brods.

Scarborough began the second half with determination and some good individual play, driving forward allowed them to score near the posts and convert.

This gave Brods a wake up call and they stepped back up with great tackling by the forwards and dominance at the rucks.

West came up with his hat trick, followed by strong runs and further tries from Joe Sealey and Harry Dunne, Wilson converting.

Good recycling of the ball and a quick inside pass from Dunne to Josh Forrest saw him have a storming 50 metre run to score the final try of the match.

A final score 48-7 and Old Brods through to the next round of the cup. Man of the Match Josh Forrest and Big Hitter Oliver Anderson.

Tigers are tough foes, but brods’ uner 17s have the edge

OLD Brods U17s always knew the home game with Sheffield Tigers was going to be tough and it did not disappoint, Brods eventually winning 13-3.

Brods started the game strong with the forwards taking on the Sheffield defence, the visitors not giving an inch, and it was down to a single penalty kick to Sheffield that got the score board rolling.

Both teams enjoyed time with the ball but could not get the elusive try, until the Brods started to get the upper hand and get some ball out.

With Liam Parfitt and Brodie Wilson hitting anything that moved and Chris Bell starting to get Chester Butler and Greg Roper moving in the centres, things were looking good, with a penalty awarded and kicked the score went to 3-3,only for half time to be called

The second half started and after a couple of changes and fresh legs the Brods looked in control a bit more. It was not long before Rroper broke the line for the first of his brace.

Brods were working hard for every ball now and at times were throwing chances away with indiscipline, but after some heated exchanges Roper scored another great try and it was 13-3.

This was the last score of this tight encounter and both sides played their hearts out up until the final whistle.

Old Brods under 13s found the conditions against them in the first half in a 28-15 defeat at Sheffield

The combination of the slope and strong wind made it difficult for the side playing uphill and Old Brods found it almost impossible to play outside their own half and were under pressure throughout.

Sheffield, anxious to make the most of their first half advantage, ran the ball at every opportunity. Following early pressure they scored in the corner and quickly scored two more to open an impressive lead. The Brods forwards were up against strong opposition in the loose but tackled valiantly to keep the score respectable. Despite this, Sheffield scored again, just before half time.

The second half was completely different with the wind at their backs and Joe Potter at No 10 orchestrated play, making clever kicks to the corners and releasing his centres when the opportunity arose. From one of these plays, centre Harris Morris was able to break through tackles and use his pace on the outside to score Brods first try. A second quickly came following a powerful forward drive from Liam Stapley, taking tacklers over the line with him.

Brods were further rewarded for their efforts when Stapley gathered a neat Potter chip through to barnstorm over in the corner,