Brods bounce back to win with late penalty

Brods v Sheffield''Dan Wood starting his run to score his try
Brods v Sheffield''Dan Wood starting his run to score his try

BRODS showed great character in overcoming an experienced Sheffield side on another glorious day at Woodhead.

They bounced back from the previous week’s disappointing defeat at Malton and shrugged off further injury worries with a much improved performance.

Brods opened brightly down the hill with early territory and possession.

Within 10 minutes they had registered an excellent try.

The forwards set the platform and when the ball was moved swiftly right the Scott brothers combined with soft hands in the centres before feeding teenage fly half Danny Wood, who had looped round in support.

Wood showed pace to round the fullback and scored under the posts, converting himself.

Brods’ lively start continued with Louis Butler probing down the left wing and when the ball came infield, Sheffield handled in the ruck and Wood claimed a further three points.

Sheffield responded by dominating possession.

Having gained up a position in the Brods 22, they moved the ball right where Carl Mortimer, the former Halifax hooker, was lurking and he scored wide out.

The conversion was missed but Sheffield kept control for the remainder of the half as the Brods were penalised regularly for infringements around the ruck.

Brods resumed with renewed energy and aggression and camped in the Sheffield half.

They went to the corner with a penalty and were unfortunate to have a try disallowed as the referee was unsighted.

The pressure was maintained and Rob Jennings took the ball from the back of a controlled maul to drive over. Wood kicked an excellent conversion to make it 17-5 after 50 minutes.

Sheffield were desperate to get back into the game and got their chance when the excellent Oliver Akroyd was harshly penalised on his own 22.

The alert Sheffield scrum half took a quick tap and danced over the try line near the posts.

The conversion cut the gap to five points and a Sheffield side that had not really threatened were still in the game.

Brods’ response was positive and Aaron Fowler linked well with Matty Hoyle to take the ball deep into Sheffield territory.

From a relieving kick, Brods were running the ball out of defence and Aaron Fowler’s intended clearance was charged down.

To the horror of the home supporters, a kindly bounce enabled a Sheffield centre to collect and have a clear run to the line. The conversion gave Sheffield the lead for the first time.

Brods again reacted positively and with five minutes remaining took play deep into the Sheffield half.

Pressure earned a penalty on the visitors’ 22 but the attempt drifted right of the posts.

Brods’ never say die attitude was maintained and they worked play back to a similar position.

This time Wood took his penalty chance well and the Woodhead faithful felt justice had been done as the young side had played some good controlled rugby in a fine second half performance against an experienced Sheffield outfit.