Bonus points only slight consolation

Brods v Malton and Norton''Adam Standeven (left) and Richard Holborough
Brods v Malton and Norton''Adam Standeven (left) and Richard Holborough

BRODS had only themselves to blame for not banking winning North One East points in an entertaining encounter at Woodhead.

Two bonus points were some consolation in a game which was there to be won by the home side, but basic errors were punished by a Malton side who took their own chances well

Brods chose to play with a blustery wind to their backs and in the early stages showed their attacking intent through pressure and good possession.

Adam Standeven made two early breaks but the opportunities were lost with Malton and Norton defenders scrambling to cut out the threat.

Following one of their raids, Brods were awarded a penalty for offside but could not take advantage with the kick drifting wide.

Malton produced their first real period of possession after 15 minutes and forced their way upfield with driving runs through powerful second row Dobson and other members of the pack. From an ensuing rolling maul No 8 Sam Triffitt spun away to score near the posts, easily converted by Ali Coe.

Brods responded with a well taken kick off in which Dave Skinner’s chase recovered the ball. Joe Armitage looked to have scored but referee James Brown of the Liverpool Society judged the ball not to have been grounded.

Brods remained on top and gained due reward when strong running by Rob Jennings enabled him to force his way through several tacklers.

When Jennings was finally pulled to ground quick ball was rewarded with a long pass from Liam Scott to Louis Butler and the young winger needed no second invitation as he scuttled over in the corner.

Danny Wood made up for his earlier miss with a superb conversion from the touchline to level the score after 35 minutes.

Brods, encouraged by their success, once more took the game to their visitors and following a superb line kick by Wood camped on the Malton line.

Brods won the lineout and James Ogden emerged from a pile of bodies after a drive over the line and with the reward of a well rehearsed forwards try. Wood again converted and at half time Brods were worthy 14-7 leaders.

The start of the second half saw both sides exchange penalties before Malton levelled the scores, pressing from close range and scoring a converted try.

Brods responded again to retake the lead on 55 minutes through Armitage who stole the ball 40 metres out and finished a fine personal effort in evading several tacklers on his way to the line. Wood again converted and Brods once more held the lead at 24-17.

Malton had their chance to level only for centre Williams to drop the ball with the line at his mercy before lively No 8 Triffitt again forced his way over and the conversion from Heard levelled the scores once more.

A key five minute spell saw Scott and Ollie Akroyd link well to create a golden chance but the ball went to ground before Standeven chose to kick instead of using a clear overlap.

To make matters worse the ball was snapped up by second row Dobson who galloped away to score the decisive try between the posts. With the crucial conversion Heard stretched the lead to 24-31 with time running out for the Woodhead men.

The home side battled up the hill, forcing a line out just five metres out. Kyle Millward was pulled to the ground at the ensuing lineout and second row Dobson was given a yellow card for foul play.

With a man advantage and just minutes left on the clock Brods threw everything at the visitors line and from a scrum five metres out Akroyd picked up before feeding Richard Holbrough who skipped round the defence.

A difficult conversion would have levelled the scores however the attempt drifted just wide.

l BRODS seconds travelled to Otley and gained a 25-0 victory and the Beavers were winners at Burley seconds.