Away win puts Town at the top

Brighouse Town - Shane Hamilton shielding ball
Brighouse Town - Shane Hamilton shielding ball

TOWN pulled off the result of the season with a brilliant performance away at much fancied and previously unbeaten Retford United.

The home side were playing Evostik League football last season and can still draw on large support as witnessed by a crowd of 183 who watched Town take the points that put them top of the table.

The start was quite a low key affair, maybe the sweltering conditions having something to do with this, but Town were coping comfortably with Retford and slowly started to get on top.

Wide men Ben Green and Danny Naidole were causing the home fullbacks problems which forced Retford into two substitutions on 15 minutes to combat the threat.

Shane Hamilton and Anthony Haigh were combining well for Town in attack and looked to have the beating of their markers.

Town took a deserved lead on 26 minutes when Green’s free-kick fell to Danny Hull on the edge of the box and he curled a brilliant shot into the far corner of the net.

Spurred by the goal Town dominated possession and home keeper Jason Fisher had to tip a shot over from Naidole after he was set up by a lay-off from Nick Jagger.

Town continued to look the better side but could not add to their lead before the break.

The second half was only two minutes old when Town doubled their lead.

Hull slipped the ball to Naidole on the left and he delivered a pinpoint cross that Hamilton side footed in from six yards.

Town were also defending well, with fullbacks Tom Brown and James Sutcliffe content with clearing their lines when needed.

Retford pushed men forward and put Town under more pressure, but Steve Hollingworth and Josh Williams were limiting Retford to knocking long balls into the penalty area, which was food and drink to the pair.

On 60 minutes Town almost grabbed a third, when a Green corner was headed goal wards by midfielder Jagger, but the goalkeeper was relieved to see the ball nestle safely in his hands.

Town replaced Jagger with Ryan Brook, and Anthony Haigh with Alex O’Keefe.

On 67 minutes Town gave away a penalty. Hesitation in the defence on the edge of the box, forced keeper Ben Imeson to rush off his line. He collided with a Retford forward and the ball went over the bar for a goal kick, but the referee decided he had fouled the Retford striker and gave the penalty.

From the spot kick Imeson was sent the wrong way.

Green was replaced by Wayne Crossley. Then Brighouse had a lucky escape with 10 minutes left.

Retford broke and a goal mouth scramble ensued. Imeson blocked the first shot with a great save, and when the follow up was blocked it fell for a Retford striker but Josh Williams and cleared the danger.

Town ran down the clock. with their back four holding out in the final minutes, and not allowing Retford a chance at goal.