Another step on track for Town

TOWN followed on from their impressive midweek win against Farsley with another solid performance against AFC Emley.

The visitors have a reputation for playing good football and are tipped by many to have a very good season this term.

But Mick Couzens’ new look side was comfortable throughout and has gelled quicker than anyone could have hoped.

The game started fairly evenly with both sides passing the ball well on the sun-drenched Dual Seal Stadium pitch.

As ever, Steve Kenworthy’s darting runs provided Emley’s biggest threat, but Matt Parker and Steve Hollingworth were marshalling the Town defence well.

Neither side had created a clear-cut chance until Emley took the lead on 14 minutes.

Brad Riley was given too much room inside the box and although Town keeper Ben Imeson pulled off a good save, Gavin Armitage followed up to knock home the rebound.

Town responded well and the hard working Antony Brown equalised four minutes later with a low left foot shot that seemed to wrong foot Emley keeper Mick Clark.

Danny Hull and Damien Gomersal were starting to get on top in the midfield and wide players Dale Feather and Jacob Lever caught the eye with their mix of enthusiasm and skill.

With Joe Swallow prompting many Town attacks from his right back position and Wayne Crossley always a willing runner into the channels, the team’s growing understanding was impressive.

Town came out for the second half and quickly got into their stride.

From a corner on 56 minutes, the ball broke to the edge of the box for Hollingworth to drill a low shot into the corner of the net to give Town the lead.

Substitute Dave Conway, on for the injured Gomersal, quickly settled into the team pattern in midfield with Hull, and Dave Woffenden continuing in the same vein as the man he had replaced, Wayne Crossley, with his excellent work rate.

It was no surprise when Town increased their lead on 68 minutes with a lovely worked goal.

Emley were guilty of overplaying just outside their own box and Dale Feather pounced to take possession.

He quickly moved the ball on to Woffenden who crafted a delightful chipped pass into the path of Hull who had enough composure to wait for the ball to drop before crashing it past the visitors’ keeper to make it 3-1.

Town started to play some attractive possession football out of defence.

Simon Wood, Hollingworth, Parker and Chris Wdowczyk all looked comfortable on the ball, using it well to move Town on to the offensive, and Alex O’Keefe was his usual energetic self, probing at the defence.

Second half keeper Paul Brown, although rarely tested, looked confident with his handling and Emley’s only real chance of the half saw Mark Stuart head wide of the target.

With 10 minutes to go, more good work from Woffenden saw his left wing cross volleyed against the crossbar by Hull from the edge of the box but no Town player was able to pick up the rebound.

Couzens was rightly pleased with the whole squad’s contribution in this game and thought it was another step in the right direction in his preparations for the new season.