A struggle, but Old Boys run goes to 10

ABERFORD, from the lower end of the league, posed more problems than expected for high fliers Brighouse Old Boys but the form book was eventually proved correct.

The victory saw Old Boys carrying on their winning run to 10 league and cup victories.

After poor weather the Brighouse players were surprised to be greeted with benign conditions, a flat pitch, a weak breeze and a seemingly smooth playing surface.

It all seemingly suited Old Boys’ best strategy of keeping the ball moving, playing on the floor, attacking with pace and defending in numbers.

For the first 15 minutes this script was adhered to and with the midfield trio of James Fletcher, Jimmy Cummings and Reece Bray dominating proceedings, setting up the skilful Calvin Lee and ever-present Martin Newham on the wings, Old Boys were making deep inroads into the heart of the Aberford defence.

They could have opened the scoring after five minutes when the Aberford keeper tried to clear with his right foot.

The ball went to Fletcher on the edge of the centre circle who volleyed a return, the keeper scrambling to get back and just managing to tip the ball over the bar.

Rob Kenny, leading the line up front, also had a couple of half chances running in on the right but, crossing instead of shooting and the ball was cleared.

The opening goal came shortly afterwards, Lee, after “nutmegging” a defender and laying the ball off drifted into the centre of the box.

The attack went on with a mazy dribble from left back Luke Johnson, whose cross found Lee and he smashed it past the keeper.

It looked as though Old Boys could take control but perhaps, although warned to guard against it, they took their foot off the pedal and allowed Aberford to gain the ascendancy.

Until half-time, Aberford’s spirited approach allowed them to dominate the game and it took all the physical presence of Lee Williams and pace and guile of Andy Hall, plus the cool assurance of right back Joe Nelson, to keep them at bay.

Old Boys kept giving away possession, inviting Aberford to attack and it needed good saves from Jason Hibbert.

They came out in the second half and took the game to Aberford.

Replacements were made, Damian Place coming on for Newham, his neat and tidy play collecting the loose ball in midfield and setting up the attack with his precise passing.

Back from injury, Matty Roy came replaced the tiring Lee, his skilful contributions adding to the attacking prowess of the Brighouse side.

Although dictating the play the final finish was not there and a series of chances went begging providing a frustrating time for the Brighouse management team, wary that a breakaway by Aberford could have led to an equaliser and a undeserved result for their side.

It was not to be however, as the counter attacks were stopped in their tracks.

It was a well deserved win in the end, playing well above their lowly league status Aberford gave Old Boys a real test, but they came through to continue their assault on the league title.