Town brought to a halt after triple lorry crash

editorial image

BRIGHOUSE was brought to a standstill for a second time last week following another accident on the M62.

All the lanes were closed along the westbound carriageway of the M62 after a three-vehicle crash between junction 25 Brighouse and junction 24 Ainley Top at 12.50pm last Friday.

And as Brighouse firefighters who attended the collision were on their way back to the station they were called to a third incident on the entry slip road on the eastbound carriageway at junction 25.

Only three days earlier part of the motorway had to be shut after an accident between a heavy goods vehicle and a green Volvo car on the slip road at junction 25 on Tuesday at 1.30pm. Two lanes and the slip road were closed for four hours and traffic soon started to build up through Rastrick and Brighouse.

In the latest incident fire crews from Brighouse, Elland, Huddersfield and Cleckheaton spent 45 minutes at the scene of the accident.

Watch commander Dave Boothroyd from Brighouse Fire Station said a lorry was driving up towards Ainley Top in the inside lane when his air brakes locked, bringing the vehicle to an abrupt halt.

“The lorry behind him ran into the back of him and then a light goods vehicle went into the back of the second vehicle,” he said.

“The driver in the first lorry had his left foot trapped under the pedal and he was in a lot of pain. The paramedics administered morphine.

“We stabilised the wagon and used metal platforms to raise the vehicle so we could get him out safely.”

The eastbound carriageway was then closed to allow the Yorkshire Air Ambulance to land at about 1.30pm.

Watch commander Boothroyd said: “The air ambulance came because of the possibility of spinal injuries.” The driver, who is aged around 40, was taken to Leeds General Infirmary but his injuries were not life threatening.

The eastbound carriageway was reopened shortly after the air ambulance left the scene. The two outside westbound lanes were reopened at 2.10pm. The two inside lanes were reopened at around 5pm.

Large tailbacks developed at Bradford Road from Bailiff Bridge to Brighouse as motorists tried to find alternative routes down Birkby Lane. Queues also developed along Leeds Road, Hipperholme, and Wakefield Road towards Hipperholme crossroads.

In the third incident a 32-year-old woman was injured when her Skoda was in collision with a Vauxhall Vectra.

The crew got her out on a longboard and paramedics took her to Bradford Royal Infirmary.