Slashing bills by up to £250

Coun David Hardy ready to switch to cheaper energy.
Coun David Hardy ready to switch to cheaper energy.

BRIGHOUSE residents could save up to £250 a year on their energy bills.

All residents have to do to take part in the collective energy switch, is add their address to a list Calderdale Council is organising to seek a better annual rate for electricity and/or gas supplies by January 28.

The following day the list will be auctioned along with lists for authorities in Greater Manchester.

Councillor Colin Stout (Ind, Brighouse) said residents should be looking at signing up to the new deal that Calderdale Council is doing. “With fuel prices going up, residents could save up to £250 a year on their bills by switching,” he said.

There is no obligation for anyone to accept the rate offered at the auction - each household can compare what is on offer with their current rate and decide what to do.

“Just showing you are interested will give more power to the council and the better the auction rates tend to be,” said Coun Stout.

“There is no commitment needed and just showing an interest will help. I think it is something the people of Brighouse should be doing. I know I am going to sign up and see what I can save on my bills. After all the money is better in my pocket than a multi-national energy company.”

Calderdale’s chair for economy and environment, Councillor David Hardy said: “While some people switch companies or tariffs occasionally, many have never switched their energy provider or even compared different tariffs. These are the people who are likely to get the best savings out of the collective switch.

“People on pre-payment meters are also encouraged to sign up, as on average they pay 15 per cent more for their energy.”

The opportunity to express an interest is open to anyone with a residential gas or electricity supply and the more people who do so, the better the chance of a great deal being secured for everyone.

Sign-up online at or ring 0800 009 3363, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

You will need to have a recent energy bill with you or an annual statement from your supplier.