Man rescued from house fire in Lightcliffe

editorial image

A father had to rescued and taken to hospital following a large house fire in Lightcliffe.

Fire crews were called to the house on Park View, off St Giles Road, at 8.05pm last night (Sunday).

Residents directed the fire engines from Brighouse and Odsal to the blaze as smoke billowed out from all the windows and the lounge was fully involved.

Firefighters had to break in through the French doors to the rear of the property and assist the man out of his home as he tried to extinguish the fire. He was later taken to Calderdale Royal Hospital for smoke inhalation.

Smoke detectors had alerted his two daughters who were in their rooms.

The fire had been caused by candles which had set the curtains alight.

A spokesperson for Brighouse fire station said that even though there were not enough smoke alarms in the house, the ones that detected the fire had saved their lives.