Electrical fault sparks kitchen fire

editorial image

An electrical fault caused a kitchen fire in Ovenden last night (Wednesday).

Firefighters from Halifax and Rastrick were called to a property on Ashfield Close at around 7.40pm.

Crew commander Oli Crossland, of Halifax fire station, said: “The fire was confined to the kitchen but caused significant damage to it.

“Everyone in the property was out when we arrived and there were no injuries.

“We believe it was caused by an electrical fault at the back of tumble dryer.”

Firefighters will be giving safety advice in the area this week following the fire.

Mr Crossland said: “I would like to remind people to ensure they have working smoke alarms and check them regularly.

“If anybody would like any advice please don’t hesitate to get in touch.”

For a free fire safety check in your home visit www.westyorksfire.gov.uk or call West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service on 01274 682311.