Town’s torment goes on

BRIGHOUSE Town has been rocked byyet another eve-of-season setback.

The football club, hit by thefts and an arson attack last August, has again been the target of thieves who ransacked a store and stole equipment worth hundreds of pounds.

The football club was targeted last Friday night when thieves cut through several locks, smashed down two wooden doors and stole valuable equipment.

It is thought the thieves came well prepared to the Dual Seal Stadium in St Giles Road, Hove Edge, cutting through locks with oxyacetylene equipment.

Club officials were alerted to the theft when two coaches arrived at the site on Saturday morning for the under 19s trials.

Vice-chairman Ray McLaughlin said three locks were broken off the gates including the main gate.

“The lock for the container where we store all the football and training equipment was burnt off but nothing was taken which is at least some good news.”

Thieves left the ground site with a rotivator, a grass strimmer and a lawn-mower.

“Everything was locked up and we had the gates secured. What more can we do? Most thieves are looking for a quick and easy job so they can get in and away. But these thieves most have had gas bottles and cutting equipment so we didn’t have a chance.”

The theft is the third setback to hit the club in a year.

Only last August a blaze swept through the site and burnt out one cabin and seriously damaged another which were being used as the club’s bar, hospitality lounge and public toilets.

And in July last year money was stolen from a holdall in the changing rooms.

“We are still slowly but surely getting back on our feet and are still working hard to get everything back up to standard after the fire. This is another setback we could have done without,” he said.

“Last year was really tough and a lot of people helped us out.

“We wanted to enter this season knowing that we were nearly there and concentrate on football which is what we are suppose to be doing.

“We are asking around the club if anyone can lend us equipment until we raise funds to replace what we have lost. Anyone who can help can contact me on 07929 053819”

Club secretary Malcolm Turner said theclub was angry but would not let this latest setback affect morale.

“The thieves knew what they were looking for. The problem is we are quite vulnerable but we will be on our guard should they ever think of returning.

Police are appealing for witnesses to the incident which they believe happened between 5pm on Friday and 10.30am the following day.

They should contact Calderdale Volume Crime Unit on 0845 6060606. Anyone who has any information about the fire should also contact police.