It’s time to get into the festive spirit! Here are ten Christmas lights switch ons that are happening throughout Calderdale over the next week.
1. Halifax: The town’s Christmas lights switch on will take place tomorrow (Saturday) on Russell Street in the town centre. There will be entertainment from 2-6pm such as fire eaters, face painting and fairground rides. The lights will be switched on by a local hero and the mayor of Calderdale at 4.30pm. The day will end with a fireworks display sponsored by Broad Street Plaza. Neil Hurst, from the Victoria Theatre Pantomine, and Danny and Rosie from Pulse 1’s breakfast show will be special guests.
2. Brighouse: The switch on in Brighouse will coincide with this weekend’s Victorian Christmas Festival. There will be 80 stalls selling food and crafts along with entertainment including carol singing and street entertainers. Tomorrow (Saturday) will see a dazzling lantern parade followed by the switching on of the Christmas lights at 4pm. Everyone is encouraged to dress in period costume to add to the Victorian atmosphere.
3. Hebden Bridge: St George’s Square will host the town’s lights switch on tonight (Friday) at 5pm. The event will also feature entertainment from Hebden Bridge Junior and Senior Bands, Magpie Movers and local choirs which will end with a sparkling fireworks display. Mulled wine and mince pies will be served afterwards in Hebden Bridge Town Hall.
4. Todmorden: Tomorrow (Saturday) Todmorden will illuminate as they switch on their Christmas lights in the Peace Garden by Todmorden Town Hall.
5. Mytholmroyd: Hebden Royd Town Council is working in partnership with Royd Regeneration to present a magical Mytholmroyd Christmas. The lights switch on will take place at 4.30pm and will be followed by a ‘quiet’ fireworks finale. BBC Look North’s Charlotte Leeming will be a special guest and there will also be free mince pies and free mulled wine.
6. Ripponden: A family carol concert at St Bartholomew’s Church at 4pm tomorrow (Saturday)will be followed by the village’s Christmas lights switch on. The event will begin in Ripponden at the Memorial Gardens on Oldham Road at 5.30pm.
7. King Cross: At 4pm on Friday December 2 the Christmas lights will be switched on in King Cross. The event starts at 3pm and will feature St Paul’s choir singers and the West Yorkshire Police Band. There will be a special visit from Father Christmas and festive classic ‘A Muppets Christmas Carol’ will be screened at 4.30pm in King Cross Library.
8. Warley: Tomorrow (Saturday) the Mayor and Mayoress of Calderdale with switch on the Warley Christmas lights at 4pm. Children will be able to visit Father Christmas in his grotto and there will also be festive cakes and mulled wine organised by the Warley community association. There will be carol singing around the tree and stars for children to hang with their names on and wishes for loved ones.
9. Hipperholme: Tonight (Friday) at 6pm, Claire Tillotson, manager of the Co-op, will switch on the Hipperholme Christmas tree lights. There will be carols with the Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Bands and afterwards visitors can enjoy refreshments in Christ Church sponsored by the Hipperholme Co-op.
10. Bailiff Bridge: On Friday 2 December, Bailiff Bridge will light up as their Christmas lights are switched on. The event will take place in the memorial park on Victoria Road at 7pm.
If you’re attending a Christmas lights switch, send us your snaps to firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet @HXCourier.
If you think your house is looking particularly festive all trimmed up this year, send us a photo to email@example.com or tweet @HXCourier