Over a century has passed since these twenty girls stood in the grounds of Cliffe Hill mansion at Lightcliffe to dance round the Maypole to celebrate the coronation of King George V in 1911.
Cliffe Hill remained as one house until the 1920s when it was then divided into two dwellings. Looking at the large front entrance behind the girls, the entrance and to the left is one half and everything to the right is the other half.
The property was offered for sale at public auction in 1867, complete with 15 acres of land and the Halifax nine hole Golf Course, which at that time was in the mansion grounds.
The property was in the ownership of the Walker family until it was sold at the auction to Major Johnston Jonas Foster, a relative of the Foster’s at Black Dyke Mills at Queensbury for £15,000. When the Lightcliffe golf club was opened in 1907 it was about this time the one at Cliffe Hill moved to Ogden in Halifax.
On the 16 June 1911 Lightcliffe School in common with most other schools it closed at 4pm for one week in honour of the coronation of King George V. It is likely that all these girls would attended Lightcliffe school, Knowle Top Road, Lightcliffe.