Wood’s penalty finally settles a gritty Calderdale derby fixture

Heath v Brods'Tipiloma Kivalu in possession with Rob jennings on the right
Heath v Brods'Tipiloma Kivalu in possession with Rob jennings on the right

Danny Wood’s 60th-minute penalty for the visitors provided the only points in Saturday’s Heath versus Old Brodleians derby game at North Dean.

As the 0-3 scoreline suggests, there was little to get excited about in a Yorkshire One contest played under floodlights on a damp, gloomy afternoon.

Visiting coach John Cole’s post-match comment that it was easier to be destructive than constructive when passions were running high between local rivals seemed a fair assessment.

Little was seen of either back line as the forwards chose to slug it out. When the ball did emerge, both sides opted for the safety first tactic of trying to gain territory through the boot.

Brods had won last season’s corresponding fixture in the spring by the narrowest of margins and this was another gritty effort from the Woodhead men, who had their backs to the wall for much of the match.

Brods have now won four games out of six this season and look unlikely to have to scrap for survival in the section for a second year running.

Both sides were pretty much at full strength but Brods lost lock Matt Willis to injury inside two minutes. His teammates Rob Jennings and Callum Thompson and Heath fullback Sam Pollard were among those in the wars as the contest progressed.

Heath dominated field position in the first half while Brods had a running battle with referee David Downham, particularly at the scrum.

Penalties they had won were reversed and dissent cost them an extra 10 metres on a couple of occasions but Heath were unable to make them pay, missing four kickable penalties.

Stand off Ezra Hinchliffe’s good recent form from the tee deserted him as he missed on eight, 18 and 38 minutes. Big centre Cayci Pearson also had a go but put wide possibly the easiest chance on 33 minutes.

Wood, returning after a shoulder injury, was also off target with a long range effort in a very forgettable first half.

Heath had got close to the try line on a few occasions before making errors in the face of determined Brods defence and that pattern continued after the break.

Home props Dave Watson and Chris Moore continued to have a good day in the scrums while Brods No 8 Luke Scrimshaw did what he does best, making a silk purse out of a sow’s ear from poor quality possession at the base of the scrum.

Liam Scott’s good diagonal kick to touch gave Brods a rare position to attack but knock-ons and another scrum penalty meant Heath were soon back on the attack, aided by Hinchliffe’s fine touch finder.

It soon became clear that Heath were battering away at a brick wall but they failed to change their one-dimensional approach and Wood’s kick eventually lifted the siege.

The Brods number 10 then rubbed salt into Heath’s wounds by spearing a low kick between the posts from the right for the all-important penalty.

Cooach John Cole, whose side host Ilkley tomorrow, said: “We have done lots of work in defence and it paid off last week.

“As a group we really pulled together because we were under the cosh.”

One area Cole will be keen to improve tomorrow is the side’s discipline.

They had almost a running battle with referee David Downham with their scrummaging a particular issue.

Cole said: “We almost strangled ourselves in the first half with the amount of penalties we gave away.

“But we grew into the game and the longer it went on the better we got.”

Lock Matt Willis was forced to come off in the early stages last week while flanker Rob Jennings took a heavy knock and Cole is likely to check on them before the Ilkley game.