Rangers seconds run riot against Saracens

Rangers A travelled to Slaithwaite with a strong team, and their first full squad of the season, and hopes were high of recording a first league victory.

Slaithwaite on the other hand had other ideas and opened the scoring and crossed again soon after to take an 8-0 lead.

Rangers woke up with Mark Bean and Gary Proctor beginning to pull the strings in attack and it wasn’t long before Jordan Sild powered over for a quick fire double. Proctor converting one of them.

Rangers scored further tries through skipper Lee Robson and powerhouse prop Matty Dawson, both after great work by man of the match Andrew Esmond, Gary Proctor converting both tries.

Slaithwaite never gave in and ran in two further tries, one of which was converted, to reach half time with the visitors leading 22-18.

Andrew Esmond was first on the scoresheet after the break with his speed and quick feet far too good for the Slaithwaite defence.

Quickfire tries from centre Joe Campbell and hard to handle full-back Esmond’s second really put Rangers on the front foot. Proctor converting all three.

Rangers were on the offensive and making fantastic yards in attack through Mark Airey and Kasim Hussain which allowed Dawson to power over under the sticks for his second try. Proctor again converted.

Gary Proctor raced away from the halfway line to grab himself a try which again he converted before Slaithwaite scored a converted try of their own.

Rangers again kicked up a gear and Esmond ran in his second and then completed his hat-trick soon after against a tiring Slaithwaite defence. Proctor converted both before Slaithwaite scored an unconverted try and it was left to Campbell to stroll over wide out for an unconverted try to complete the scoring.

Slaithwaite Saracens A 28

Brighouse Rangers A 68

Pennine ARL Division Five

Wyke find life tough at the Bar

Doncaster Toll Bar 48

Wyke 20

Pennine ARL Division Two

Wyke’s first team travelled to Doncaster Toll Bar last Saturday looking for a morale-boosting victory to get their season back on track

Having turned up in plenty of time, it was disappointing to find the team trailing 18-0 after 30 minutes.

Wyke’s first try came five minutes from half-time. Andrew Patchett took the ball to the opposition defensive line then chipped over the top for Duane Platt to receive. He drew the full-back and fed the supporting Sam Redmond who scampered over the line.

Straight from the second half kick-off Doncaster spilled the ball, Wyke gathered and took three drives deep into the opposition territory.

They moved the ball down the line, but struggled to find the elusive last pass until the last tackle when Platt’s grubber kick rebounded off a home player and he regathered and the dived over, Patchett converting.

After some good pressure, Wyke forced the error and after a repeat set of six, a flat ball was delivered to Stevie Richardson who twisted in the tackle and scored beneath the sticks.

Wyke then allowed the opposition in for two easy scores before Patchett took on the opposition line to score a well-deserved try.

Just when it looked like Wyke were going to get themselves back into the game they fell asleep and allowed the home team in for 20 unanswered points.

Wyke have a week off before they entertain Brotherton on October 12 (2.30).

Wyke under 13s played their penultimate fixture of the season at home to Wibsey Warriors last Saturday at Wyke Park.

Wyke took early control of proceedings when following some great passing and handling Cameron Scott managed to evade a couple of challenges to skip down the wing to score. Ben Proctor added the extras.

The pressure coming from both sides was intense with it being a local derby but it was the hosts who went over again as Bradley Clarkson ran 80 metres to score. Proctor completed to make it 12-0.

Captain Sebastian Blanco got his name on the scoresheet after he picked the ball up on halfway and dashed to the line. Proctor completed the try and was closely followed by Michael Bird, with Proctor tagging on the goal.

Just before half-time Wyke extended their lead with a second from Scott, goaled by Proctor to make it 30-0. Scott then completed his hat-trick and Proctor made it six kicks from six.

Further tries came from Blanco and a fourth from Scott, with Proctor completing to make it 46-0.