Town defy ref and deficit to take win

Actions from the game, Brighouse Town v Parkgate at St Giles Road.
Pictured is Luke Gibson

Actions from the game, Brighouse Town v Parkgate at St Giles Road. Pictured is Luke Gibson

DESPITE a constant stream of yellow cards from referee David Benton and some controversial decisions, Town pulled back from a goal down for an all-important win with no league game now for two weeks.

Players were booked left right and centre for back chat, and even manager Paul Quinn was sent off in the second half for inappropriate behaviour. He watched the rest of the match from the terraces across the pitch from his dugout.

“We needed to do something at half time, we were sluggish and needed to make some changes. Ryan (Hall) and Ben (Charlesworth) came on and I have seen them shake up the game before and as bad as we were in the first half, I thought we were superb in the second half,” said the manager.

In the early stages both sides appeared to be sizing each other up before on seven minutes Danny Naidole sent in a great shot with his left from 35 yards.

Parkgate were quick to respond, Martin Lee, just failing to get his head to a cross while Tom Taylor saved well on 15 minutes from a hard, low shot from Callum Westney.

Five minutes later Parkgate’s Sam Smith went one-on-one with Taylor but his attempt hit the post. However, the rebound fell nicely for Craig Fletcher who buried it for 1-0.

With five minutes to the break Town worked the ball up the left and Tom Matthews broke clear of the defence only to be brought down outside the area by keeper Robert Poulter.

Brighouse made two half time substitutions, Sam Hewitt and Luke Gibson were replaced by Ryan Hall and Ben Charlesworth.

Hall was lively from the off and made his first serious foray on goal in the 51st minute, but it was kicked off the line by Simon Hickey.

The equaliser finally came on 55 minutes when Naidole put the ball in the back of the net.

Three minutes later Taylor made a superb save to the left from Andrew Dawson’s attempt as the Sheffield side looked to restore their lead.

Then came a shock decision from the referee as Town’s Ernest Boafo was brought down in the box only for the Town striker to be shown the yellow for diving!

This really incensed the Town players and led to Adam Wilson being brought before the referee to ask him to calm his players down and as he turned away he was then also booked for questioning the referee further. When manager Quinn spoke out from the bench, he was given his marching orders.

Sean Dickinson of Parkgate was then booked for a foul as Mr. Benton began to flash the yellow card quite frequently.

Naidole then swung the ball in from the left and it looked as though Ben Thornton would bury it with an open goal beckoning but the linesman flagged for offside.

In the 76th minute Sean Dickinson missed an open goal and then Town’s Joe Mitchell was shown a yellow card for shirt tugging.

In the 85th Matthews, who had a quiet game, sent the ball across to Hall who buried it in the back of the net to make it 2-1.

Brighouse: Taylor, T Brown, Henry, Wilson, Hewitt, Thornton, Naidole, Mitchell, Boafa, Matthews, Gibson. Subs: Thompson, P Brown, Sutcliffe, Hall, Charlesworth.

Parkgate: Poulton, Johnson, Hickey, Sheperd, Griffiths, Westney, Dawson, Telling, Smith, Low, Fletcher. Subs: Linnacre, Morley, Dickinson.

Referee: David Benton

Brighouse Town 2

Parkgate FC 1

Baris NCEL Premier Division




Back to the top of the page