Matthews to sit out ‘Sedge clash
BRIGHOUSE Town will be without the services of the Baris Northern Counties East League Premier Division’s leading scorer Tom Matthews for Saturday’s derby clash at Liversedge.
Matthews has stormed to the top of the charts having netted 26 times in all competitions so far this season.
He is five ahead of Nathan Forbes-Swindells from Staveley Miners Welfare and six better off than Pickering Town’s Liam Salt.
Matthews, who opned the scoring in Town’s thrilling 3-1 home win over Barton Town Old Boys on Tuesday night, is unavailable.
“Tom is having a few days’ break and it will do him good, once he has paid his fine for doing so,” said player manager Quinn, with tongue in cheek.
Apart from losing Matthews, Quinn hopes to have some of the players who have been ill or injured, fit and well again and ready for duty.
“Many of the lads have been hit by a sickness bug which meant I lost Tom Brown, Danny Naidole and Ben Charlesworth for Tuesday’s game,” added Quinn.
“On top of that both Ernest (Boafo) and Tom Taylor are just getting over the bug so it was a brilliant effort from the squad all round.
“We also had some tired legs from Saturday’s game against Staveley and I am pleased that Ernest (Boafo) got something back tonight as he covered every blade of grass at Saturday’s match.
“I also thought Craig Thompson was superb.
“We didn’t want to play him for as long as we did but he was such a handful, Barton didn’t know what to do with him and no one got near him.”
Reflecting on the outcome, Quinn added:
“It was a great result; this was an important game and we didn’t want to drop any points, it’s crucial that we pick up points every game now.”
Games against Liversedge are always hotly-contested with many players switching between the two clubs over recent seasons.
The Clayborn Ground side are currently 13th in the Premier Division table but always raise their game against their close rivals.
The two sides have yet to lock horns in the league this season with the scheduled return fixture due to be played at the Dual Seal Stadium on Boxing Day.
The club’s development side are at home on Saturday (2.00) to Hyde United’s reserves.
The game will sure to be a tough test against the Blue Square Premier Division’s new boys’ second string.
- Championship 2013/14 fixtures: The big dates for Leeds United and Huddersfield Town
- Big investment for Jacob’s Lazy Camper company
- Football League Championship 2013/14 fixtures: Leeds start at home to Brighton, Huddersfield travel to Forest
- Talks over derelict pub hit stalemate
- Police helciopter called to Wyke
- GCSE results for Brighouse High
- Former Prime Minister Baroness Margaret Thatcher dies - Sir Bernard Ingham calls her the “outstanding 20th century Prime Minister”
- Comic, Jack Carroll, on tonight’s live show of Britain’s Got Talent
- Pensioner jailed for sex abuse charges dating back more than three decades.
- The Great St Matthew’s Bake Off
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Halifax
Thursday 20 June 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: East
Temperature: 11 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North east