Town maintain title push

Ernest Boafo
Ernest Boafo

Glasshoughton Welfare 1 Brighouse Town 3

Town picked up three welcome points following two successive draws as they maintained their challenge at the top of the table.

A knockdown from new signing Jason Price on five minutes almost had Ryan Hall in but the diminutive winger couldn’t quite gather the ball.

The same fate befell Ernest Boafo was a yard short of adding a finishing touch to a Price cross.

A rash challenge gave the home side a free kick 35 yards out and Del Pollock had ‘keeper Jacob Giles in trouble but the ball went wide.

Town took the lead two minutes later when Henry found Price on the edge of the box. His shot was blocked but the ball fell to Danny Naidole, who placed it over ex-Town ‘keeper Paul Hagreen.

Boafo then crossed for Henry at the back post, and he placed the ball into Price’s path, but the big striker’s shot was blocked. A minute later Boafo was brought down inside the box and Ryan Hall sent Hagreen the wrong way from the spot.

Boafo failed to recover from the knock and was replaced by Joe Jagger.

Town bossed the game as Glasshoughton defended in numbers and it should have been 3-0, when a Naidole free kick from the right found Adam Wilson whose close range header hit Hagreen and the follow up was blocked on the line for another corner. This was delivered by Naidole,but Sam Hewitt‘s header was cleared off the line.

A floodlight failure at the interval put the game in jeopardy, but the problem was rectified after a 15 minutedelay.

The home side started the brighter but it was Town who created the chances.

Price had Hagreen beaten, a ball from Henry had the str, but his volley went narrowly wide before Price was again denied by Hagreen with Hen placed the rebound wide from a tight angle.

A poor clearance from Town gave the home side their first real chance, but the ball was blazed high and wide.

The home side then grabbed a lifeline, when a ball in from the left by Josh Prudhoe found Pollock six yards out and he slid in to finish beyond Giles.

Town weathered the next few minutes and became the dominant side again, Hagreen pulling off numerous saves.

He was finally beaten again five minutes from the end when Jagger released Naidolewho cut in on his left and fired the ball beyond the ‘keeper.